Prove x^{k+1}-1=(x-1)(x^{k}+x^{k-1}+...+1) by Induction

  • Thread starter Thread starter dtl42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Induction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
dtl42
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove by Induction that [tex]x^{k}-1=(x-1)(x^{k-1}+x^{k-2}+...+1)[/tex]


Homework Equations


None? I need to prove [tex]x^{k+1}-1=(x-1)(x^{k}+x^{k-1}+...+1)[/tex] by assuming this is true: [tex]x^{k}-1=(x-1)(x^{k-1}+x^{k-2}+...+1)[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]x^{k+1}-1=(x-1)(x^{k}+x^{k-1}+...+1)[/tex] - I tried substituting in the [tex]x^{k}[/tex] term, and expanding [tex]x*x^{k}-1[/tex], but it failed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dtl42 said:

Homework Statement


Prove by Induction that [tex]x^{k}-1=(x-1)(x^{k-1}+x^{k-2}+...+1)[/tex]


Homework Equations


None? I need to prove [tex]x^{k+1}-1=(x-1)(x^{k}+x^{k-1}+...+1)[/tex] by assuming this is true: [tex]x^{k}-1=(x-1)(x^{k-1}+x^{k-2}+...+1)[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]x^{k+1}-1=(x-1)(x^{k}+x^{k-1}+...+1)[/tex]
You can't use that- that's what you are trying to prove.

- I tried substituting in the [tex]x^{k}[/tex] term, and expanding [tex]x*x^{k}-1[/tex], but it failed.

You have xk+1- 1 and you need to use the fact that xk- 1= (x-1)(xk-1+...+ x+ 1). Have you tried dividing xk+1-1 by xk- 1? It does not divide evenly, you get
[tex]x^{k+1}-1= (x^k-1)(x+1)+ \frac{x-1}{x^k-1}[/tex]
but now you should be able to simplify that fraction.
 
That fraction would simplify to [tex]\frac{1}{x^{k}+x^{k-1}+...+1}[/tex] right?
 
That fraction would simplify to [tex]\frac{1}{x^{k}+x^{k-1}+...+1}[/tex] right?
 
Check the power of the leading term in the denominator again.
 
there is another method without any division. When you have [tex]x^{k+1}-1=x \cdot x^k-1[/tex], substitute the x part inte another appropriate term that equals x, then use the induction assumption.
 
Last edited:
What would the other appropriate term be? I can't really work that out in my head, I thought I should substitute for [tex]x^{k}[/tex] because I can separate it more easily.
 
I can give you an example of what technique I mean.
Prove that [tex]3^{2n+1} + 4^{2n+1}[/tex] always is divisible by 7.
Indcution. True for n=0, now assume true for n and consider n+1:
[tex]a_{n+1}=3^{2(n+1)+1} + 4^{2(n+1)+1}=9\cdot 3^{2n+1}+16 \cdot 4^{2n+1}=[/tex]
[tex]=9\cdot 3^{2n+1}+(9+7) \cdot 4^{2n+1}=9 \cdot a_n + 7 \cdot 4^{2n+1}[/tex]
which is divisible by 7 if a_n is.
How can you apply this method on your problem? how can the two terms look like, if they should equal x? :)
 
Last edited: