Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove zero point energy without calculation?

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    What is an elegant way to prove that quantum mechanical system (with bounded particles?) have some non-zero ground state energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How does one prove that the result of a calculation is non-zero (or non-any value) without doing a calculation?

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    Without the full calculation of energy. Basically the easiest way possible, whatever that is.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4
    Well, should you take Heisenberg principle as true, there is no much caliculation involved : as an example, take a free particle and localize it ... SNIP ...such uncertanty in momentum, it's easy to derive p2 expectation value thus kinetic energy.

erorr : I didn't read the question as careful as I thought I did =) Having general QM problem in mind, I am no longer sure ... maybe taking Taylor series around global minimum and recalling oscillator, but that is hardly "without of caliculation".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  6. Mar 5, 2009 #5

alxm

Science Advisor

A simple hand-waving conceptual answer would be something like: Consider a simple vibrating system, e.g. a harmonic oscillator. The lowest possible energy (classically) would be for the thing to simply not vibrate. Quantum mechanically, it can't do that since it'd mean having a well-defined position and momentum, in violation of the uncertainty principle.

So the lowest vibrational state must have some energy, on the order of ~[tex]\hbar[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook