Proving a complex wave satisfies Helmholtz equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Helmholtz equation for a harmonic wave with a complex amplitude. The attempt at a solution involves expressing the complex amplitude in terms of the wave and a constant, but leads to a dead end. The solution is found by using the fact that the wave is harmonic, making the exercise easy.
Matt Chu

Homework Statement

Consider a harmonic wave given by

$$\Psi (x, t) = U(x, y, z) e^{-i \omega t}$$

where ##U(x, y, z)## is called the complex amplitude. Show that ##U## satisfies the Helmholtz equation:

$$ (\nabla + k^2) U (x, y, z) = 0 $$

Homework Equations

Everything important already in the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The first thing I attempted to do was to express ##U## in terms of ##\Psi## and ##e^{-i \omega t}##. This led me to a long set of derivations that in no way gave me anything remotely close to zero. I'm confused as to how to solve this, as the ##k## component of the Helmholtz equation seems to be problematic; it seems the only way to prove that the whole expression equals zero would be if ##U = 0##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Matt,

How do you make use of the given that ##\Psi## is a harmonic wave ? What equation does ##\Psi## satisfy ?

BvU said:
Hello Matt,

How do you make use of the given that ##\Psi## is a harmonic wave ? What equation does ##\Psi## satisfy ?

Yeah, just figured that out a few minutes ago.

Good! makes it an easy exercise.

1. What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in physical systems. It is named after the German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz.

2. How is the Helmholtz equation used in science?

The Helmholtz equation is used to study and analyze various physical phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and fluid dynamics. It is an important tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. What does it mean for a complex wave to satisfy the Helmholtz equation?

For a complex wave to satisfy the Helmholtz equation, it means that the wave satisfies both the wave equation and the boundary conditions of the Helmholtz equation. This indicates that the wave is a valid solution to the equation and accurately describes the behavior of the wave in a given physical system.

4. Why is it important to prove that a complex wave satisfies the Helmholtz equation?

Proving that a complex wave satisfies the Helmholtz equation is important because it provides a mathematical validation of the wave's behavior in a physical system. It also allows for better understanding and prediction of the wave's behavior, which can have practical applications in various fields of science and technology.

5. What are some techniques used to prove that a complex wave satisfies the Helmholtz equation?

There are various techniques used to prove that a complex wave satisfies the Helmholtz equation, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and Green's function. Other methods such as numerical simulations and experimental data analysis can also be used to validate the wave's behavior in a physical system.