1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a cubic is surjective.

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    $$f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}~~\text{where}~~f(x)=x^3+2x^2-x+1$$
    Show if f is injective, surjective or bijective.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

f is obviously not injective (and thus not bijective), one counter example is x=-1 and x=1.

I can see from the graph of the function that f is surjective since each element of its range is covered.
    But im not sure how i can formally write it down. If i try this;

##\text{let}~y\in\mathbb{R}## and then try to find which ##x\in\mathbb{R}## maps to y then the algebra is going to get really messy and it would take a long while. Is there a faster and easier way of showing f is injective? Can i draw the function and show that all of the co-domain is covered, or is this not formal enough?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I think that stating that the function is continuous and tends toward plus or minus infinity for large arguments should be sufficient. You might need to put a little more math and logic into it, but that is the simple argument.

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the Intermediate Value Theorem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_value_theorem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted