Does there exist a surjection from the integers to the naturals?

In summary, a surjection from ##\mathbb{Z}## to ##\mathbb{N}## is the double cover of ##\mathbb{N}## induced by ##f:\mathbb{Z}\longmapsto\mathbb{N}## with $$f(z)=\begin{cases}-z & ,\forall z<0\\z+1 & ,\forall 0\leq z\end{cases}$$, and a surjection from ##\mathbb{R}## to ##\mathbb{N}## is given by $$p(r)=\begin{cases}r& ,\forall r\in\mathbb{N}\\0 & ,
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
a) Does there exist a surjection from the integers to the natural numbers?

b) Does there exist a surjection from the real numbers to the natural numbers?
Relevant Equations
##\mathbb{R},\quad \mathbb{N},\quad\mathbb{Z}##
a)
Yes.
One surjection from ##\mathbb{Z}## to ##\mathbb{N}## is the double cover of ##\mathbb{N}## induced by ##f:\mathbb{Z}\longmapsto\mathbb{N}## with
$$f(z)=\begin{cases}
-z & ,\forall z<0\\
z+1 & ,\forall 0\leq z
\end{cases}$$
b)
Yes.
One surjection from ##\mathbb{R}## to ##\mathbb{N}## is the the projection ##p:\mathbb{R}\longmapsto\mathbb{N}## with ##f(r)=r## for all ##r\in\mathbb{N}\subset\mathbb{R}##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does ##\mathbb{N}## not include 0 for you?

(b) feels incomplete. What is the relationship between p and f, and what are you supposed to to with real numbers that are not natural numbers?

Office_Shredder said:
Does ##\mathbb{N}## not include 0 for you?
If ##\mathbb{N}## includes ##0##, a surjection from ##\mathbb{Z}## to ##\mathbb{N}## is given by
$$f(z)=\begin{cases}
-z & ,\forall z<0\\
z & ,\forall 0\leq z
\end{cases}$$
Office_Shredder said:
(b) feels incomplete. What is the relationship between p and f, and what are you supposed to to with real numbers that are not natural numbers?
I agree with you. They were all meant to be ##p##'s, but I hit ##f## by force of habit. The "complete" projection function is ##p:\mathbb{R}\longmapsto\mathbb{N}## with
$$p(r)=\begin{cases}r& ,\forall r\in\mathbb{N}\\
\text{undefined}& ,\forall r\notin\mathbb{N}
\end{cases}$$

p(r) can't be undefined, by definition a function is always defined. But notice it doesn't matter much what value you pick - you already covered the surjection part, so you could make it e.g.. always 0 for the rest of the space

docnet said:
If ##\mathbb{N}## includes ##0##, a surjection from ##\mathbb{Z}## to ##\mathbb{N}## is given by
$$f(z)=\begin{cases}
-z & ,\forall z<0\\
z & ,\forall 0\leq z
\end{cases}$$

I agree that works. But which one does your class/textbook use? I was just surprised because they usually include 0, but if it didn't then your first answer is fine.

Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
p(r) can't be undefined, by definition a function is always defined. But notice it doesn't matter much what value you pick - you already covered the surjection part, so you could make it e.g.. always 0 for the rest of the space
Thank you. I understand, and I can't believe I missed that.
Then let's make it ##p:\mathbb{R}\longmapsto\mathbb{N}## with
$$p(r)=\begin{cases}r& ,\forall r\in\mathbb{N}\\
0 & ,\forall r\notin\mathbb{N}
\end{cases}$$
Office_Shredder said:
I agree that works. But which one does your class/textbook use? I was just surprised because they usually include 0, but if it didn't then your first answer is fine.
Those questions are taken from a midterm review sheet that I stumbled upon. The class is named "Introduction to higher maths" and it is a proof-based course I have not taken, so I don't know what the professor wants to do.

In general if ##A \subseteq B## are non-empty sets and ##a \in A##, then ##f:B \rightarrow A## defined by:
$$f(b)=\begin{cases}b& \ \ (b \in A)\\
a & \ \ (b \notin A)
\end{cases}$$ is a surjection.

• Informative
Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
Question: Does this imply that any function that has an infinity, like ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}## does at ##x=0##, and like ##f(x)=\tan(x)## does at ##x=\frac{\pi}{2}+\pi n## is not a proper function over all of ##\mathbb{R}##? (really, curious.)

docnet said:
Question: Does this imply that any function that has an infinity, like ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}## does at ##x=0##, and like ##f(x)=\tan(x)## does at ##x=\frac{\pi}{2}+\pi n## is not a proper function over all of ##\mathbb{R}##? (really, curious.)
Yes. The domain of the function ##\frac 1 x## is ##\mathbb R - \{0\}##.

Note that technically this function is continuous at every point in its domain. That said, it's common to talk about a discontinuity at ##x = 0##. What that really means is that we cannot extend the function ##\frac 1 x## to be continuous on ##\mathbb R##.

We can compare this to the function ##\frac{\sin x}{x}##, which likewise is not defined at ##x = 0##, but which can be extended to a continuous function on ##\mathbb R## by defining the function to be ##1## at ##x = 0##. This is called a removable discontinuity. Although, again, it's not technically a discontinuity in the function, but a disconnectedness of the domain that is being removed.

• Informative
Likes docnet

1. What is a surjection?

A surjection is a function that maps elements from one set to another set in such a way that every element in the second set is mapped to by at least one element in the first set. In other words, every element in the second set has a corresponding element in the first set.

2. What are the integers and the naturals?

The integers are the set of whole numbers, including positive numbers, negative numbers, and zero. The naturals are a subset of the integers, consisting of only the positive whole numbers (1, 2, 3, ...).

3. Why is the existence of a surjection from the integers to the naturals important?

This question is often asked in the context of the concept of cardinality, which is a measure of the size of a set. The existence of a surjection from the integers to the naturals shows that the set of integers is at least as large as the set of naturals, and therefore they have the same cardinality.

4. Is there a surjection from the integers to the naturals?

The answer to this question is yes. One possible surjection is the function f(n) = n+1, which maps every integer n to the natural number n+1. This function satisfies the definition of a surjection, as every natural number has a corresponding integer that maps to it.

5. What is the significance of this result?

The existence of a surjection from the integers to the naturals has important implications in mathematics, particularly in the study of infinity and set theory. It shows that the set of integers is "countably infinite," meaning that its elements can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the elements of the set of naturals. This result also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in the proof of the Cantor-Schröder-Bernstein theorem.