1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a Fact About Exact Differentials

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Proving a Fact About Exact Differentials

Problem. Let D be a disc and let P and Q be functions on D with continuous partial derivatives with respect to x and y. Let C be any closed curve in D.

Given the fact that

[tex]\int_C (P \, dx + Q \, dy) = 0 \leftrightarrow Q_x = P_y[/tex]

show that P dx + Q dy is an exact differential. (Hint: Let (a, b) be any point in D and set

[tex]g(x, y) = \int_a^b P(t, b) \, dt + \int_b^y Q(a, s) \, ds[/tex]

Show that g is the desired function.

Attempt. P dx + Q dy is an exact differential if there is a function g(x, y) with [itex]g_x = P[/itex] and [itex]g_y = Q[/itex]. So if I take the partial derivative with respect to x of the function g defined in the hint, I should get P right?

Let p be the anti-derivative of P with respect to the first variable and let q be the anti-derivative of Q with respect to the second variable. Then by the fundamental theorem of calculus

g(x, y) = p(x, b) - p(a, b) + q(a, y) - q(a, b)

and so [itex]g_x(x, y) = p_x(x, b) = P(x, b)[/tex] right? The problem here is that there's a b instead of a y. I'm mostly likely doing something terrible wrong here because I haven't used the fact stated in the problem. Help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume this was supposed to be
    [tex]g(x, y) = \int_a^x P(t, b) \, dt + \int_b^y Q(a, s) \, ds[/tex]

If that "b instead of an a" is in the book and not your mistake, then it is a misprint in the book!
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    Right. Sorry for the typo. That is what screwed me up. It should be:

[tex]g(x, y) = \int_a^x P(t, b) \, dt + \int_b^y Q(x, s) \, ds[/tex]

And so

[tex]g_x(x, y) = P_x(x, b) + \int_b^y Q_x(x, s) \, ds[/tex]

I apply the fact that [itex]Q_x = P_y[/itex] and simplify to get that [itex]g_x(x,y) = P(x,y)[/itex]. Similarly, [itex]g_y(x,y) = Q(x,y)[/itex] and thus P dx + Q dy is an exact differential.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    One more problem: If [itex]Q_x = P_y[/itex], it is easy to show that the line integral of P dx + Q dy around any closed curve is 0 by applying Green's theorem. However, the converse does not seem to be necessarily true.
  6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    From Green's theorem,

[tex]\int_C (P \, dx + Q \, dy) = \iint_R (Q_x - P_y) \, dx dy[/tex]

Given that the above is 0, then

[tex]\iint_R Q_x \, dx dy = \iint_R P_y \, dx dy[/tex]

This is as much as I can deduce. How is it possible to further deduce this into [itex]Q_x = P_y[/itex]?
  7. Feb 22, 2008 #6
    The problem of my previous two posts were discussed in class today. The prof. said that because the double integral is 0 for any region R, the function [itex]Q_x - P_y[/itex] must be 0.

This sounds reasonable. I would like to examine this idea for the one-dimensional case. Let f(x) be a function continuous on a domain D. Now suppose for any interval (a,b) in D,

[tex]\int_a^b f(x) \, dx = 0[/tex]

To prove that f(x) = 0, I have to show that for any x in D, f(x) = 0. Arguing by contradiction, suppose for some c, f(c) is not 0. Because f is continuous,

[tex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = f(c)[/tex]

Thus, for any e > 0, there is a d > 0 such that for all x with c - d < x < c + d, f(c) - e < f(x) < f(c) + e. Therefore,

[tex]2d(f(c) - e) = \int_{c-d}^{c+d} f(c) - e \, dx < \int_{c-d}^{c+d} f(x) \, dx < \int_{c-d}^{c+d} f(c) + e \, dx = 2d(f(c) + e)[/tex]

For e << f(c), if f(c) is positive, f(c) - e and f(c) + d are both positive and so the integral in the middle must be positive. If f(c) is negative, then the middle integral is negative. This is a contradiction as that integral should be 0. Hence, for all values of x in D, f(x) = 0.

That's cool. Concerning the problem in the previous two posts, the region R enclosed by C may be described as the points (x, y) such that x is in the interval (a, b) and y is in the interval (c, d). In this manner,

[tex]\iint_R Q_x - P_y \, dxdy = \int_c^d \int_a^b Q_x(x, y) - P_y(x, y) \, dx dy = 0[/tex]

This is true for every region R enclosed by a curve C in the domain D. Thus, the bounds of the outer integral range over the domain of x-values in D and the bounds of the inner integral range over the domain in y-values of D.

This implies that the inner integral must equal 0 and consequently, that [itex]Q_x - P_y = 0[/itex].

I think this explanation is sound. I will mark this thread as solved.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?