1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a particle is moving in an elliptical orbit.

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m is acted upon by two forces. P(t) in the x direction with magnitude p(sinkt) and Q(t) acting on the line y=x with magnitude qsinkt. At t=0 it starts at (b,0,0) and velocity p/(mk) moving toward the origin. Prove the particle is in an elliptical orbit.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried doing the problem in cartesian coordinates. The Q(t) force acts on the y=x line which makes a 45° angle with the x axis. Thus the force has a y and an x component. The y component is Q(t)sin°45 and the x component is Q(t)cos 45°. Adding up components in the y and x directions give two uncoupled differential equations(newton's second law). Problem is when I solve for the x(t) and y(t) along with the integration constants accounted for I get long expressions which do not make it obvious the particle is in an elliptical orbit i.e (x(t)2/b2 + y(t)2/b2 = 1). Am I on the right track? I do not need detailed descriptions just wondering if my analysis of the forces is right. Is there a way of analyzing the forces in polar coordinates because that way Q(t) acts in the radial direction and perhaps one would need to find the component of P(t) working the θ direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi GroupActiion! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: change the coordinates! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook