Proving a polynomial cannot be factored with integer coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to factor a non-constant polynomial with integer coefficients that has a value of ±1 for 1999 different integer values of x. The attempt involves writing the polynomial as a product of two polynomials with integer coefficients and showing that it is not possible for either polynomial to have a degree greater than 1999. However, this attempt is proven incorrect as it is shown that a polynomial of degree 1000 can have 1998 points with a value of ±1. The conversation also mentions a conjecture that the number of points with a value of ±1 for a polynomial of degree n is 2n.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

upload_2017-6-16_20-44-17.png

[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to do it by writing it as
##
a_{1999} x^{1999} + a_{1998} x^{1998} ... a_0 \pm1 = 0
##
for 1999 different integer values of x
i am thinking of writing it as
##
a_{1999} x^{1999} = -a_{1998} x^{1998} - a_{1997} x ^ {1997} ... a_0 \pm1
##
does this lend any information

i also tried to graph it
a 1999 degree polynomial has 1998 stationary points and at most 2000 points at which it is plus minus 1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume that you can factor it, and then look for a contradiction. What can you say about the value of the factors at these points?

Technical detail: The problem statement should say "non-constant polynomials", otherwise it is wrong: you can write p(x) as 1*p(x).

vishnu 73 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 205538
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to do it by writing it as
##
a_1999 x^1999 + a_1998 x^1998 ... a_0 \pm1 = 0
##
for 1999 different integer values of x
i am thinking of writing it as
##
a_1999 x^1999 = -a_1998 x^1998 - a_1997 x ^ 1997 ... a_0 \pm1
##
does this lend any information

i also tried to graph it
a 1999 degree polynomial has 1998 stationary points and at most 2000 points at which it is plus minus 1

Use braces: in TeX/LaTeX, if you have a subscript or superscript consisting of more than one character, you need to put it in braces, like this: a_{1999} and x^{1999}. Without braces, a_1999 and x^1999 give you get this: ##a_1999, x^1999##; but with braces you get this: ##a_{1999}, x^{1999}##.

@mfb
sure give me some time i will reply soon
@Ray Vickson
sorry about that still new to letex thanks edited it forgot to check after posting

@mfb
this is what i did
assuming it can be factored into a product of two polynomials with integer coeffecients it can be written as
##
(a_n x^ n + a_{n-1} x^{n-1} ... a_0)(b_{1999-n}x^{1999-n} + b_{1998-n} x^{1998-n} ... b_0)\\
where \\
a_i , b_i = integers
##
hence
##
(a_n x^ n + a_{n-1} x^{n-1} ... a_0) = \pm 1\\

(b_{1999-n}x^{1999-n} + b_{1998-n} x^{1998-n} ... b_0) = \pm 1
##
for 1999 different values of integer x
if n is greater than or equal to 2
then the degree of the b polynomial is less than 1998 and cannot be plus minus 1 for 1999 distinct values
but if n = 1 the degree of a polynomial is just 1 and certainly can at most be plus minus 1 2 times
hence it cannot be factored like this
is this correct?

vishnu 73 said:
if n is greater than or equal to 2
then the degree of the b polynomial is less than 1998 and cannot be plus minus 1 for 1999 distinct values
But you have two polynomials: ##a(x) + 1## and ##a(x) - 1##. Can't the ##1999## many zeros be spread on these two?

@fresh_42
i don't quite get why you are talking about zeros here
the question states the initial polynomial is ±1 for 1999 different integer values of x and since both of the a and b polynomial have only integer terms in them their absolute value must equal 1 also for 1999 values of x

oh wait now that i actually drawn it out i realize i am wrong
because a cubic graph can have 4 points with absolute value equal to 1 and a pentic graph has 8 such points and hence i conjectured for n th degree there will be 2n - 2 such points
so 1998 degree has 3994 such points not 1999 as i initially thought
and now that i think more
1000 degree can have 1998 such points so the b polynomial must be at least of at least 1001 degree and hence a becomes of degree 998 degree which is not possible now correct? i am really hesitant about this method as it seems very vague to me myself but that is the only one i can think of please help

no sorry once again after further checking my conjecture was wrong
it turns out that degree 3 graph has 6 such points and degree 5 graph has 10 such points so i now conjecture that number of such points is 2n
so the b polynomial must be atleast 1000 degree now then the a polynomial becomes 999 degree which only has 1998 such points which is not possible

vishnu 73 said:
it turns out that degree 3 graph has 6 such points and degree 5 graph has 10 such points so i now conjecture that number of such points is 2n
so the b polynomial must be atleast 1000 degree now then the a polynomial becomes 999 degree which only has 1998 such points which is not possible
Correct.

Likes timetraveller123
really wow thanks

can i ask a similar question about factoring polynomials here

If it is a different problem, please open a new thread.

ok

1. Can all polynomials be factored with integer coefficients?

No, not all polynomials can be factored with integer coefficients. Some polynomials are irreducible, meaning they cannot be factored into simpler polynomials with integer coefficients.

2. How can I determine if a polynomial cannot be factored with integer coefficients?

One way to determine if a polynomial cannot be factored with integer coefficients is by using the Rational Root Theorem. If the polynomial does not have any rational roots, then it cannot be factored with integer coefficients.

3. Can a polynomial with non-integer coefficients be factored with integer coefficients?

No, a polynomial with non-integer coefficients cannot be factored with integer coefficients. The coefficients in a polynomial must be integers in order for it to be factored with integer coefficients.

4. What if I cannot find any rational roots for a polynomial?

If you cannot find any rational roots for a polynomial, it is likely that the polynomial cannot be factored with integer coefficients. However, this does not necessarily mean that the polynomial is irreducible. There are other methods, such as the Quadratic Formula, that can be used to determine if a polynomial can be factored with integers.

5. Can a polynomial with degree greater than 2 be irreducible?

Yes, a polynomial with degree greater than 2 can be irreducible. The degree of a polynomial does not determine whether it can be factored with integer coefficients or not. The Rational Root Theorem and other methods must be used to determine if a polynomial can be factored with integer coefficients.