1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an eigenfunction (EF) from Lx as combination of EF of Lz

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the eigenfunction of Lx can be written as a combination of eigenfunctions from Lz with the same l but different m. Using the eigenfunction
    [itex]Y_{x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(Y^{-1}_{1} - Y^{1}_{1})[/itex] as the eigenfunction of Lx

2. Relevant equations

[itex]Y^{m}_{l} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}e^{im\varphi}[/itex] eigenfunction of Lz
    [itex]L_{z}Y^{m}_{l}= l Y^{m}_{l} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]Y_{x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(Y^{-1}_{1} - Y^{1}_{1}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} - e^{i\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x} = i \frac{h}{2\pi}(sin\theta \frac{d}{d\varphi} + cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{d}{d\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x}Y_{x} = i \frac{h}{2\pi}cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{d}{d\varphi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} - e^{i\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x}Y_{x} = \frac{h}{2\pi}cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} + e^{i\varphi}) ≠ lY_{x} [/itex]

can't see where I'm going wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The line above is your problem. ##e^{i m \varphi}## is an eigenfunction of Lz, but the spherical harmonic ##Y^m_l## is an eigenfunction of both Lz and L2.

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    Hi, should I be using

[itex]Y^{m}_{l} \propto P^{m}_{l}(cos\theta)e^{i m \varphi}[/itex] ?

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes.

6. Apr 26, 2012 #5
    just to confirm is

[itex]P^{-1}_{1}(cos\theta) = cos\theta[/itex]

thanks!

7. Apr 26, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, that's not correct. Don't you have a list of spherical harmonics in your textbook? If not, just google it.

8. Apr 26, 2012 #7
    thank you no I wasn't aware of spherical harmonics, but i am now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook