1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an inequality using maximum modulus

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f be an analytic function on the disc |z|<1 and satisfies |f(z)|≤M if |z|<1.
    Show that [itex] |f(z)| \le M \left| \frac{z-a}{1-a'z} \right| [/itex] when |z|<1

where a' is the complex conjugate of a

2. Relevant equations
    This section uses maximum modulus principle, but I really don't understand it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since |z|<1 and consequently |f(z)|≤1, I rewrite the inequality to be proved as
    |f(z)|/M ≤ |[itex]\frac{z-a}{1-a'z}[/itex]|
    If M=0, the inequality holds, since it is a trivial case of 0 =< 0. If not, we can use the fraction above. Since [itex]|f(z)| \le M, \; \frac{|f(z)|}{M} \le 1[/itex]

Then, I write z as e^iθ. Technically I should write e^(iθ) but for the sake of convenience, e^iθ means just that, not e^i * θ.

Now, [itex] \frac{e^{i\theta} - a}{1-a'e^{i\theta}} = e^{i\theta} \frac{1-ae^{-i\theta}}{1-a'e^{i\theta}} [/itex]

Note that the numerator is the complex conjugate of the denominator. Then, we can reduce |f(z)| as [itex]|e^{i\theta}|[/itex]

Here's where it gets confusing. [itex]|e^{i\theta}|[/itex] was stipulated to be less than 1 in the problem, but I wish to show that it is greater than equal to one.

What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2
    Ok, here is how I did it:

1) Multiply with the complex conjugate of the denominator;
    2) Use the fact that |z|<1 to get of an 'a';
    3) Use |z|<1 again to get rid of the fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted