Proving an integer problem about the sum of a square number and a prime number

In summary: I can conclude that the same statement holds for any [ordered pair of integers].Unfortunately, this proof technique is invalid because one of the integers in the [ordered pair] might be 1.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached...
Relevant Equations
number concept
i do not seem to understand part ##ii## of this problem...mathematical induction proofs is one area in maths that has always boggled me :oldlaugh:
1626563483690.png

let ##n=3, p=7, ⇒m=4##
therefore,
##7=(4-3)(4+3)##
##7=1⋅7##
##1, 7## are integers...##p## is prime.

i am attempting part ##iii## in a moment...

Attachments

• 1626562841007.png
    1626562841007.png
    15 KB · Views: 128
Physics news on Phys.org
Identify exactly which step of his "proof" is the first wrong statement and explain why it is wrong.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: see attached...
Relevant Equations:: number concept

i do not seem to understand part ##ii## of this problem...mathematical induction proofs is one area in maths that has always boggled me :oldlaugh:View attachment 286161
let ##n=3, p=7, ⇒m=4##
therefore,
##7=(4-3)(4+3)##
##7=1⋅7##
##1, 7## are integers...##p## is prime.

i am attempting part ##iii## in a moment...
This is not a counterexample: ##1^2+7=8 \neq m^2##. You need to find an example for ##n^2+p=m^2##.

With such an example in mind, you can check Charlie's proof step by step and see what was wrong.

fresh_42 said:
This is not a counterexample: ##1^2+7=8 \neq m^2##. You need to find an example for ##n^2+p=m^2##.

With such an example in mind, you can check Charlie's proof step by step and see what was wrong.
am getting lost here, i picked ##n=3, p=7## to realize ##3^2+7=4^2## or i am missing something?

chwala said:
am getting lost here, i picked ##n=3, p=7## to realize ##3^2+7=4^2## or i am missing something?
Sorry, you are right. I thought you had ##1## and ##7##. My fault. I had a smaller counterexample in mind. You can use the true definition of prime.
$$
p\,|\,a\cdot b \Longrightarrow p\,|\,a \text{ or } p\,|\,b \text{ or } p=\pm 1
$$

Likes chwala
I think the problem with Charlie's "proof" is a little more subtle. Carefully consider what he is actually proving...

aaaargh...i was missing this for part ##iii##, one has to use the relationship...
##(n+1)^2-n^2=2n+1##
given ##2n+1=853##
if follows that, ##n=426##,
therefore the two square numbers are ##426## and ##427##

Likes fresh_42
to answer part ##ii##, i realize that as long as ##m-n=1##, then we shall always have a prime number ##p## which contradicts Charlie's statement.

chwala said:
to answer part ii, i realize that as long as m−n=1, then we shall always have a prime number which contradicts Charlie's statement.
Right...

fresh_42 said:
Sorry, you are right. I thought you had ##1## and ##7##. My fault. I had a smaller counterexample in mind. You can use the true definition of prime.
$$
p\,|\,a\cdot b \Longrightarrow p\,|\,a \text{ or } p\,|\,b \text{ or } p=\pm 1
$$
i see that modular arithmetic...is also applicable.

chwala said:
i see that modular arithmetic...is also applicable.
It is the actual definition of primality: if it divides a product then it has to divide a factor. The other definition is strictly irreducibility: cannot be factored. They are the same in rings like the integers, but this is a theorem. The true definition is often more convenient. In the case above, it is probably easier to take the irreducibility. The correct conclusion would be ##m-n=\pm 1## and ##p=m+n## or ##p=m-n## and ##m+n=\pm 1##. So ##p## is still a prime and the contradiction is none.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
to answer part ##ii##, i realize that as long as ##m-n=1##, then we shall always have a prime number ##p## which contradicts Charlie's statement.
We know that his proof cannot be correct. You are asked to show explicitly and exactly what he does that leads him astray. ( you would get zero for this answer were I grading it! You are correct but it does not answer the question.) I find it an interesting question.

hutchphd said:
We know that his proof cannot be correct. You are asked to show explicitly and exactly what he does that leads him astray. ( you would get zero for this answer were I grading it! You are correct but it does not answer the question.) I find it an interesting question.
I may appreciate your input on this...

hutchphd said:
...by him expressing the difference of two squares as two factors is where the problem is as one of the factors of ##p## could be ##1##.

Likes SammyS
You are correct. I was thinking incorrectly. Apologies.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: see attached...
Relevant Equations:: number concept

mathematical induction proofs is one area in maths that has always boggled me :oldlaugh:
The proof attempt by Charlie does not involve mathematical induction.

That said, if one is attempting to prove a "for all" type statement involving a set of integers, an inductive proof would be a plausible way to proceed.

The statement Charlie has been asked to prove takes the form:

For all [ordered pairs of integers m and n], [some statement about that pair]​

The proof technique that Charlie has employed takes the form:

If I can prove the statement for arbitrary [ordered pair] then it follows that it is true for all [ordered pairs].​

Perform indirect proof that the statement is true for arbitrary pair (m,n)​
Draw the conclusion.​

An inductive proof for ordered pairs would be trickier to phrase. One would likely nest one induction inside another. Much more complicated than what Charlie has here. It would involve at least a base case (e.g. prove the statement for m=n=1) and an iterative case (e.g. prove that if the statement holds for (m,n) then it also holds for (m+1,n)).

Likes chwala
jbriggs444 said:
The proof attempt by Charlie does not involve mathematical induction.

That said, if one is attempting to prove a "for all" type statement involving a set of integers, an inductive proof would be a plausible way to proceed.

The statement Charlie has been asked to prove takes the form:

For all [ordered pairs of integers m and n], [some statement about that pair]​

The proof technique that Charlie has employed takes the form:

If I can prove the statement for arbitrary [ordered pair] then it follows that it is true for all [ordered pairs].​

Perform indirect proof that the statement is true for arbitrary pair (m,n)​
Draw the conclusion.​

An inductive proof for ordered pairs would be trickier to phrase. One would likely nest one induction inside another. Much more complicated than what Charlie has here. It would involve at least a base case (e.g. prove the statement for m=n=1) and an iterative case (e.g. prove that if the statement holds for (m,n) then it also holds for (m+1,n)).
I know that...my statement was just in general terms..in reference to problems that are similar ...to mathematical induction being a challenge ...cheers

jbriggs444 said:
It would involve at least a base case (e.g. prove the statement for m=n=1) and an iterative case (e.g. prove that if the statement holds for (m,n) then it also holds for (m+1,n)).
... and holds for (m,n+1).

Likes chwala
Note:

Every odd number is the difference of two consecutive squares.

Likes chwala and Gaussian97

What is an integer problem about the sum of a square number and a prime number?

An integer problem about the sum of a square number and a prime number is a mathematical problem that involves finding a combination of a square number and a prime number that add up to a given integer.

Why is proving an integer problem about the sum of a square number and a prime number important?

Proving this type of problem is important because it helps to understand the relationship between square numbers and prime numbers and how they can be combined to form any given integer. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills.

What are some common methods used to prove an integer problem about the sum of a square number and a prime number?

Some common methods used to prove this type of problem include using algebraic equations, number theory, and mathematical induction.

Are there any known patterns or rules for solving these types of problems?

Yes, there are some known patterns and rules for solving these types of problems. For example, a square number can only have an odd number of factors, while a prime number can only have two factors. This can help narrow down the possible combinations to reach a given integer.

Are there any real-world applications for solving integer problems about the sum of a square number and a prime number?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving these types of problems, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. These problems also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are useful in various fields.