Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an intersection empty set

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to prove

[tex]\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1}(0,1/n) = [/tex] EMPTY SET.

One thing that I can't seem to bypass is getting past the closed intervals as stated in the Nested Interval Property, which states "For each [tex]n\in[/tex] N, assume we are given a closed interval [tex]I_n = [a_n, b_n] = {x \in[/tex] R [tex]: a_n \leq x \leq b_n}[/tex]. Assume also that each [tex]I_n[/tex] contains [tex]I_n_+_1[/tex].

Therefore, [tex]\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1}I_n \neq [/tex] EMPTY SET.

Basically, I'm stuck at taking care of the open interval part of this proof. The original for R was proved by showing sup A = x, then x is between the closed interval. Any advice would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    Obviously the intersection is a subset of (0,1), Why? So it will suffice to show that for any x in (0,1) that there exists a set of the form (0, 1/n) to which x does not belong. So basically given x in (0,1) can you figure out how to find n such that x does not belong to (0, 1/n)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?