Proving an open ball is connected in a metric space X

In summary, the conversation discusses whether an open ball in a metric space is connected or not. The attempt at a solution involves trying to prove that all open balls in any metric space are connected, but a counterexample is given to disprove this statement. The conversation then goes on to discuss other examples of connected metric spaces with disconnected open balls.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##B(a,ε) (ε>0)## in a metric space ##(X,d)##. Decide whether this subset of ##(X,d)## is connected or not.

The attempt at a solution.
Well, I know open intervals in the real line are connected. I suppose that an open ball in a given metric space can be imagined as an open interval of a more general metric space instead of the real line; at least, that's the way I see it. So, by this analogy, I think that any open ball in a given metric space is always connected. My problem is I don't know how to prove it. I've tried it by the absurd:

So, suppose we can disconnect ##B(a,ε)##. Then there exist ##U## and ##V##, nonempty open subsets of ##(X,d)## such that
i)##B(a,ε)= U \cup V##
ii)##U \cap V=\emptyset##

How can I come to an absurd? By all the things above, I know that there exists ##x \in B(a,ε)## : ##x \in U## and ##x \not\in V##. On the other hand, ##U## is an open set, so for some ##δ>0##, ##B(x,δ) \subset U##. That's all I got up to now. How can I continue to arrive to an absurd?

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##B(a,ε) (ε>0)## in a metric space ##(X,d)##. Decide whether this subset of ##(X,d)## is connected or not.

Well, I know open intervals in the real line are connected. I suppose that an open ball in a given metric space can be imagined as an open interval of a more general metric space instead of the real line; at least, that's the way I see it. So, by this analogy, I think that any open ball in a given metric space is always connected. My problem is I don't know how to prove it. I've tried it by the absurd:

So, suppose we can disconnect ##B(a,ε)##. Then there exist ##U## and ##V##, nonempty open subsets of ##(X,d)## such that
i)##B(a,ε)= U \cup V##

How can I come to an absurd? By all the things above, I know that there exists ##x \in B(a,ε)## : ##x \in U## and ##x \not\in V##. On the other hand, ##U## is an open set, so for some ##δ>0##, ##B(x,δ) \subset U##. That's all I got up to now. How can I continue to arrive to an absurd?

Is it possible that the statement that you are trying to prove, that every open ball in every metric space is connected, is not true?

mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

i)##B(a,ε)= U \cup V##

The real line is too simple an example to make judgements based on it. Can't you think of a metric space that has disconnected open balls?

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
The real line is too simple an example to make judgements based on it. Can't you think of a metric space that has disconnected open balls?

I got really mixed up trying to generalize the interval case. The counterexample I could think of was: consider X an infinite metric space with the discrete δ-distance. Pick any x in X and consider of the ball centered at x of radius 2. Then I can disconnect this ball by two open sets U and V consisting of union of open balls of radius 1 centered at any other point of the space. Is this correct? Can you give me another example to completely destroy my previous wrong assumption?

gopher_p said:
Is it possible that the statement that you are trying to prove, that every open ball in every metric space is connected, is not true?

Yes, it's wrong, I got confused.

mahler1 said:
I got really mixed up trying to generalize the interval case. The counterexample I could think of was: consider X an infinite metric space with the discrete δ-distance. Pick any x in X and consider of the ball centered at x of radius 2. Then I can disconnect this ball by two open sets U and V consisting of union of open balls of radius 1 centered at any other point of the space. Is this correct? Can you give me another example to completely destroy my previous wrong assumption?

Sure. Any subset of a metric space is a metric space, right? Take the subset of the reals X=(-infinity,-1/2]U[1/2,infinity) and think about the open ball around 0 of radius 1. There's also plenty of examples where X is connected and still has disconnected open balls. Can you think of one?

Dick, your example doesn't work because 0 isn't a point in the metric space to have an open ball around, but the open ball around -1/2 of radius 2 does work.

I second the think of a connected metric space which has disconnected open balls call. There are simple subsets of R2 that work.

Likes 1 person
Office_Shredder said:
Dick, your example doesn't work because 0 isn't a point in the metric space to have an open ball around, but the open ball around -1/2 of radius 2 does work.

I second the think of a connected metric space which has disconnected open balls call. There are simple subsets of R2 that work.

Good catch. Thank you!

1. What is an open ball in a metric space X?

An open ball in a metric space X is a set of all points within a certain distance (radius) from a given point. It is denoted by B(x,r) where x is the center of the ball and r is the radius.

2. How is connectedness defined in a metric space X?

A metric space X is connected if every pair of points in X can be connected by a path within X. This means that there are no "breaks" or "gaps" in the space, and any two points can be reached without leaving the space.

3. What does it mean to prove that an open ball is connected in a metric space X?

Proving that an open ball is connected in a metric space X means showing that any two points within the ball can be connected by a path within the ball, without leaving the ball. This ultimately demonstrates that the open ball is a connected subset of the metric space X.

4. What is the importance of proving that an open ball is connected in a metric space X?

Proving that an open ball is connected in a metric space X is important because it helps to establish the topological properties of the space. It also allows for the use of various theorems and techniques that rely on connectedness, such as the Intermediate Value Theorem.

5. What are some strategies for proving that an open ball is connected in a metric space X?

Some strategies for proving that an open ball is connected in a metric space X include using the definition of connectedness to show that any two points within the ball can be connected by a path, using the properties of the metric space to demonstrate connectedness, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.