1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Centripetal Acceleration Physically?

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    How Can I Prove this Physically

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I need to do a project where I prove centripetal acceleration. All the cases I've seen of where it's proved is using formulas, though I need an actual project.

By an actual project I mean something like http://jedlik.phy.bme.hu/~hartlein/www.mip.berkeley.edu/images/physics/A+0+47.gif

Does anybody know how I can prove centripetal acceleration with a physical project behind it?
    Yes it can involve forumlas, equations also. Though I still need a project for it.

2. Relevant equations
    a = v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Bucket of water - No way of proving so far.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If you school doesn't have lab equipment for studying centripetal acceleration and force, you could build it: http://www.physics.fsu.edu/users/ng/Courses/phy2053c/Labs/Expt03a/Expt03a-3.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    I'm looking for something a bit simpler, thanks though :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Carousel swing
    Some other rotating object on a playground
    Simple pendulum: weight hanging from a wire describing circles.

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    Why isn't the bucket thing working? Hold a small bucket of water upside down, the water falls. Rotate it, the water doesn't fall.

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Turning the bucket thing into a physics learning experience (something to hypothesize, something to measure, something to evaluate) project worth a marking is hard (and wet).

8. Jan 27, 2015 #7
    Haha! It might get a bit wet, yes. But it you can get a small bucket, its pretty much feasible.

9. Jan 27, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HTHL, do you have something available that rotates at a reasonable speed ? Lego with a little motor, meccano (Ha, mid 20th century -- shows my age :( ), ceiling fan ?
    Anything resembling a carousel swing.
    Hang a little weight from a wire and measure the angle as a function of rpm, radius, weight, wire length, time of day, etc.... Real physics for you !
    How to measure accurately ? Another physics challenge! (although with these thingies nowadays..)
    And if you insist on getting wet: angle of liquid in a bucket on a turntable in the playground ! As a function of rpm, radius, temperature,

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. Jan 27, 2015 #9
    Thanks for the answer! :)
    Using a turntable on the playground is actually a good idea to measure the speed, thank you for that!

11. Jan 27, 2015 #10
    Measure the speed at which the the kids get thrown off the carousel :-p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted