Proving Closure of X/Y in Normed Spaces

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wii
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    closure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
wii
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

Could you please help me in how to prove the following :

If Y is a closed linear subspace of a normed space X, then

if X is complete ==> X/Y is complete.

Cheers,
W.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have an idea but I'm not sure if it is right or wrong :

Let [tex][x_n][/tex] be a Cauchy sequence in [tex]X/Y[/tex] where [tex][x_n]=\{x_n + y | y \in Y\}[/tex] that means the norm of [tex][x_n] , [x_m][/tex] in this sequence is less than [tex]\epsilon[/tex] for each [tex]m, n > N[/tex]

so we want to use completeness of [tex]X[/tex], but how?

If [tex][x_n][/tex] is a Cauchy sequence in [tex]X/Y[/tex] ,then does that mean [tex]x_n[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence in [tex]X[/tex] ?

If so, then suppose [tex]x_n[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence in [tex]X[/tex] converges to [tex]x \in X[/tex], then [tex][x_n][/tex]converges to [tex][x] \in X\Y[/tex]?

I am confused :s I think there is some thing missing :\
 
Could you also state which norm you put on X/Y?

wii said:
If [tex][x_n][/tex] is a Cauchy sequence in [tex]X/Y[/tex] ,then does that mean [tex]x_n[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence in [tex]X[/tex] ?

This is not true. However, you may find representatives of [tex][x_n][/tex] that do form a Cauchy sequence. I mean: it is possible to find [tex]y_n\in [x_n][/tex], such that [tex](y_n)_n[/tex] does form a Cauchy sequence.
But it is in general not true that [tex](x_n)_n[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence...
 
|| x+Y|| = \inf _{y\in Y} ||x+y||

where ||x+y|| is the norm that defines on [tex]X[/tex].

I've already proved that ||x+Y|| defines a norm on X/Y.

Thanx in advance.
 
Given a Cauchy sequence ([x_n])_n in the quotient X/Y, find a subsequence ([x']_n)_n such that ||[x']_n-[x']_m||<2^{-n} for all n. From this, construct a Cauchy sequence in X.