Proving coercivity for weak form

• MHB
  • Thread starter Carla1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Weak
In summary: Thus, $a$ is coercive and the Lax-Milgram theorem can be applied to prove existence and uniqueness of the solution to the weak form of the Poisson equation. In summary, the existence and uniqueness of the solution to the weak form of the Poisson equation can be proven using the Lax-Milgram theorem. This theorem can be applied because the bilinear form $a(u,v)$ is coercive, which can be shown using the Poincare inequality.
Carla1985
I have the weak form of the poisson equation as $a(u,v)=l(v)$ where
$$a(u,v)=\int_\Omega \bigtriangledown u\cdot\bigtriangledown v$$

I have been proving existence and uniqueness of the solution using the Lax-Milgram Thm. I am stuck on proving that the bilinear form $$a(u,v)$$ is coercive. I have that it is coercive if there exists a constant c such that
$$|a(u,v)|\leq c||v||_V\ \ \forall\ v\in V$$
where $||\cdot||_V$ is the norm corresponding to scalar product $(\cdot,\cdot)_V$.

I think I need to use the Poincare inequality to solve it but not sure how. Could someone please give me tips on how to go about proving this please? Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Carla1985,

There are pieces of information that are missing in your question. What are the conditions on $\Omega$? In what space do $u$ and $v$ belong to? Also, in the definition of coercivity, you should have $|a(v,v)| \ge c\|v\|^2$ for all $v\in V$.

Euge said:
Hi Carla1985,

There are pieces of information that are missing in your question. What are the conditions on $\Omega$? In what space do $u$ and $v$ belong to?

I have my spaces as:
$$u\in U:=\{u\in H^1(\Omega)\ |\ u=g_D\textsf{ on }\partial\Omega_D\}$$
$$v\in V:=\{v\in H^1(\Omega)\ |\ v=0\textsf{ on }\partial\Omega_D\}$$

Euge said:
Also, in the definition of coercivity, you should have $|a(v,v)| \ge c\|v\|^2$ for all $v\in V$.

Yes sorry, that's what I should have typed :)

The coercivity of $a$ follows directly from the Poincare inequality, for there is a constant $C = C(\Omega)$ such that $a(u,u) = \|\nabla u\|_{L^2(\Omega)}^2 \ge C\|u\|^2$ for all $u\in H^1(\Omega)$.

Related to Proving coercivity for weak form

1. What is coercivity in the context of weak form?

Coercivity is a mathematical property that ensures the existence and uniqueness of a solution to a problem. In the context of weak form, it refers to the stability of the weak formulation of a partial differential equation, which guarantees the convergence of numerical methods used to solve it.

2. Why is proving coercivity important in numerical analysis?

Proving coercivity is important because it guarantees the existence and uniqueness of a solution to a problem, which is necessary for numerical methods to converge. Without coercivity, numerical methods may produce incorrect or unstable solutions.

3. How is coercivity proven for weak form?

Coercivity for weak form can be proven using various techniques, such as the Lax-Milgram lemma, the Babuška-Brezzi condition, and energy estimates. These techniques involve manipulating the weak form and its associated bilinear form to show that it satisfies certain mathematical properties that guarantee coercivity.

4. What are the consequences of a lack of coercivity in weak form?

If a weak form is not coercive, it means that the corresponding partial differential equation does not have a unique solution. This can lead to numerical methods producing incorrect or unstable solutions, making it difficult to accurately solve the problem at hand.

5. Can coercivity be proven for all weak forms?

No, coercivity may not hold for all weak forms. It depends on the specific partial differential equation and the boundary conditions associated with it. It is important to carefully analyze and prove coercivity for each weak form before using numerical methods to solve it.