Proving Completeness of SHO's Coherent States

  • Thread starter Thread starter WisheDeom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coherent States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
WisheDeom
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I must prove that the set of coherent states [itex]\left\{ \left| \lambda \right\rangle \right\}[/itex] of the quantum simple harmonic oscillator (SHO) is a complete set, i.e. it forms a basis for the Hilbert space of the SHO.

Homework Equations


The coherent states are defined as eigenkets of the creation operator with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex]; in terms of the energy eigenkets they can be written

[tex]\left| \lambda \right\rangle = \exp \left( -\frac{|\lambda|^2}{2} \right) \sum_n \frac{\lambda^n}{\sqrt{n!}} \left| n \right\rangle[/tex]

Completeness means the sum (infinite series in this case)

[tex]\sum_{\left\{ \left| \lambda \right\rangle \right\}} \left| \lambda \right\rangle \left\langle \lambda \right|[/tex]

converges and is non-zero. Sites have told me the sum should converge to [itex]\pi[/itex], but I don't know how to compute that.

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not even quite sure how to start. The eigenvalues are complex numbers, so I know the sum (integration) must be over the complex plane, but how should I do this? I tried parametrizing [itex]\lambda = x + iy[/itex], and then separately by [itex]\lambda = r e^{i \theta}[/itex], but both got very messy quickly, and I'm not sure what to do. Am I on the right track at all?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
Can you show the series involved in the ket-bra converges ? What criteria do you know for an infinite series to converge ?

I know there are a number of tests for series of numbers, but I'm not sure how to translate this to operators. My class didn't do any rigorous operator calculus; we sort of played it by ear. But in this case I'm not even sure how to start really.

If I assume it does converge, the sum should be

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^2 \lambda e^{|\lambda|^2} \sum_m \sum_n \frac{\lambda*^m \lambda^n}{\sqrt{m! n!}} \left| m \right\rangle \left\langle n \right|[/tex]

but I don't know how to evaluate this.