1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving f(x) has a limit at all points not odd

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1

Define f:R→R as follows:
    f(x)= x- ⌊x⌋ if ⌊x⌋ is even.
    f(x)= x- ⌊x+1⌋ if ⌊x⌋ is odd.
    Determine those points where f has a limit and justify your conclusions (using δ and ε).

2. Relevant equations

The attempt at a solution involved a graph of the situations of f(x). With this graph my group and I determined f(x) has a limit at x_0 iff x_0 is not an odd integer. However, we hare having a hard time proving it, and, although the graph says we are right, we must use δ and ε in a formal proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have used some special symbols that do not show on my internet reader. What are they (describe in words)? Is it the "floor" symbol: [itex]\floor{x}[/itex]

4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    yes, it is the floor symbol, the others are delta and epsilon

5. Oct 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have used special symbols that do not show on my internet reader. Is that the "floor function", f(x)= largest integer less than or equal to x? If so then the fact that floor(x+1)= floor(x)+ 1 should be helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?