Proving f(x) has a limit at all points not odd

In summary: The attempt at a solution involved a graph of the situations of f(x). With this graph my group and I determined f(x) has a limit at x_0 iff x_0 is not an odd integer. However, we hare having a hard time proving it, and, although the graph says we are right, we must use δ and ε in a formal proof.
angelpsymon

Define f:R→R as follows:
f(x)= x- ⌊x⌋ if ⌊x⌋ is even.
f(x)= x- ⌊x+1⌋ if ⌊x⌋ is odd.
Determine those points where f has a limit and justify your conclusions (using δ and ε).

Homework Equations

The attempt at a solution involved a graph of the situations of f(x). With this graph my group and I determined f(x) has a limit at x_0 iff x_0 is not an odd integer. However, we hare having a hard time proving it, and, although the graph says we are right, we must use δ and ε in a formal proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
angelpsymon said:

Determine those points where f has a limit and justify your conclusions (using δ and ε).

Homework Equations

The attempt at a solution involved a graph of the situations of f(x). With this graph my group and I determined f(x) has a limit at x_0 iff x_0 is not an odd integer. However, we hare having a hard time proving it, and, although the graph says we are right, we must use δ and ε in a formal proof.

You have used some special symbols that do not show on my internet reader. What are they (describe in words)? Is it the "floor" symbol: [itex]\floor{x}[/itex]

yes, it is the floor symbol, the others are delta and epsilon

angelpsymon said:

Homework Equations

You have used special symbols that do not show on my internet reader. Is that the "floor function", f(x)= largest integer less than or equal to x? If so then the fact that floor(x+1)= floor(x)+ 1 should be helpful.

1. What does it mean for a function to have a limit at a point?

Having a limit at a point means that as the input values of the function approach that point, the output values of the function approach a certain value. This value is called the limit and it represents the behavior of the function at that point.

2. Why does the function need to have a limit at all points not odd?

In order for a function to be continuous, it must have a limit at every point in its domain. This includes all points not odd, as well as the odd points. Without a limit at all points, the function would have discontinuities and would not be considered a valid mathematical function.

3. How can we prove that a function has a limit at a point?

There are several ways to prove that a function has a limit at a point, including using the formal definition of a limit, using algebraic manipulations, or using graphical representations. One of the most common methods is to use the ε-δ definition and show that for any small value of ε, there exists a corresponding value of δ that satisfies the definition.

4. Can a function have a limit at some points and not others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a limit at some points and not others. This is known as a discontinuous function. However, if the function is continuous, it must have a limit at all points.

5. How does proving a function has a limit at all points not odd relate to the overall behavior of the function?

Proving that a function has a limit at all points not odd is important because it shows that the function is continuous and well-behaved at those points. This is crucial for understanding the overall behavior of the function and making predictions about its values at other points.