1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving image of intersection?

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F be a relation from X to Y and let A and B be subsets of X. Then,

[itex]F(A \cap B) \subseteq F(A) \cap F(B)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Let [itex]y \in F(A \cap B)[/itex]. Then, [itex]\exists x \in A \cap B[/itex], so [itex]\exists x \in A[/itex] and [itex]x \in B[/itex].

Then, [itex]y \in F(A)[/itex] and [itex]y \in F(B)[/itex], so [itex]y \in F(A) \cap F(B)[/itex].

Therefore, [itex]y \in F(A \cap B) \Rightarrow y \in F(A) \cap F(B)[/itex], and hence, [itex]F(A \cap B) \subseteq F(A) \cap F(B)[/itex].

I'm having trouble showing that the right side is not a subset of the left. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\exists x \in A\cap B[/itex] such that F(x)= y. You might want to say that!

That's because it may not be true! That's the reason for the "[itex]\subseteq[/itex]" rather than just "[itex]\subset[/itex]".

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3
    This is actually the second part of the problem I'm on. The previous one was about the image of a union being equal to the union of the images. I mentioned your suggestion in that part.

I understand that. I have to show that it's NOT a subset of the left hand side. I just don't know how to do that using the kind of logic I used in proving the left side was a subset of the right.

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And I will say again that you can't prove that- it is not true- unless you mean proper subset.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook