Proving linearity of a function

In summary, the goal is to show that the LSE (least squares estimate) of the mean Y0 = B0 + B1x0 is a linear function of the data Yi, for i = 1,2,...,n where x0 is a known constant. This can be done by showing that the estimate is a matrix multiple of the data, using the fact that matrices are linear operators. To minimize the LSE, you take the derivative with respect to the coefficients and solve the resulting linear system, which can be expressed in matrix form as b = (X^TX)^-1 X^T y. This proves that the estimated coefficients are a linear function of y, given by the matrix G = (X
tkim90
I'm stumped on what seems to be a simple proof question, but I don't know what to do.

Question:
(c) Show that the LSE of the mean Y0 = B0 + B1x0 is a linear function of the data Yi, for i = 1,2,…,n where x0 is a known constant.

Could someone help me to at least start this problem?
So far I was thinking there'd be a way to substitute B0, but all I got is the estimate of B0 (B0 hat) and the estimate of B1 (B1 hat) found from previous parts of the question, but they don't seem applicable in this instance.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
To show it is a linear function of the data it is enough to show it is a matrix multiple of the data, i.e. {B0;B1} = GY where G is a matrix, since matrices are linear operators. Specifically proving a transformation is linear means showing T(aX+b) = aT(X)+b where a and b are scalars scalars, but I think is enough just to show it is a matrix multiple of Y - it is obvious no nonlinear transformation is performed.

LSE, means you want to minimize
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^n(y_i- \vec b^T \vec x_i - b_0)^2 [/tex]

To do it you just take the derivative with respect to the coefficients b_i, set it equal to 0, and solve the linear system - you will get a matrix times y for your solution. It is easiest to put it into matrix form:

argmin. [tex] (\vec y - X* \vec b*)^T(\vec y - X* \vec b*) & [/tex]
(I put X* to incorporate the offset b0, where X* is nx(p+1) with an additional column of all ones, and b* incorporates the offset as the last entry in the vector)

Then taking derivative setting equal to 0, you will get the classic solution in matrix form:
[tex] \vec b = (X^TX)^{-1} X^T \vec y[/tex]

So you see your estimated coefficients are just a linear function of y, given by the matrix [tex] G = (X^TX)^{-1} X^T [/tex]

1. How do you prove linearity of a function?

To prove linearity of a function, you need to show that the function follows the properties of linearity, which include additivity and homogeneity. This means that the function must satisfy the equations f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) and f(ax) = af(x), where x and y are inputs and a is a constant.

2. What is additivity in relation to linearity?

Additivity is one of the key properties of linearity, which means that the function's output when two inputs are added together is equal to the sum of the function's outputs for each individual input. This can be expressed as f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y).

3. What does homogeneity signify in linearity?

Homogeneity is another important property of linearity, which states that the function's output is proportional to its input. This can be expressed as f(ax) = af(x), where a is a constant. In simpler terms, scaling the input by a constant also scales the output by the same constant.

4. Can a function be linear if it doesn't satisfy the properties of linearity?

No, in order for a function to be considered linear, it must satisfy both additivity and homogeneity. If a function fails to meet either of these conditions, it cannot be considered linear.

5. How do you use graphical methods to prove linearity?

To use graphical methods to prove linearity, you can plot the function on a graph and check if it satisfies the properties of linearity. If the function's graph is a straight line passing through the origin, it is considered linear. Additionally, you can also check if the graph satisfies the additivity and homogeneity properties by examining the slope and intercept of the line.