Proving Magnitude of Position Vector for Centre of Mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
metgt4
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that the magnitude R of the position vector for the centre of mass from an arbitrary origin is given by the equation

M2R2 = M[tex]\sum[/tex]miri2 - (1/2)[tex]\sum[/tex]mimjrij2

Homework Equations



F = MR''

F = p'

p = [tex]\sum[/tex]mjrj'



The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not quite sure where to start with this, but this is what I've tried so far:

F = MR''

R'' = [tex]\frac{F}{M}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{p'}{M}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{([tex]\sum[/tex]m<sub>j</sub>r<sub>j</sub>')'/M<br /> <br /> And that's about where I think I go wrong. Am I on the right path, or am I waaayyy off?[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot see what you have done because your LateX code failed. Try re-posting and someone might be able to help you.