Proving moment of inertia of a sphere using disk method

  • Thread starter Thread starter vInCEE-j
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moment Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
vInCEE-j
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I'm having a difficulty in proving the moment of inertia of a sphere.
Using I=p(x^2)dv, we have to show that

I = (3m/r^3) * the integral (from 0 to r) of (x^3)((r^2) - (x^2))^(1/2) dx

where r=radius, x=the axis

I've been trying to prove it and yet no success. if anyone can show me how to do it, i'd greatly appreciate that.
thanks a lot
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem more reasonable to me to use spherical coordinates:
[tex]x= \rhocos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex] and [tex]dV= \rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho\d\thetad\phi[/tex]
[tex]\int\rho x^2dV= p\int_{\phi=0}^\pi\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{\rho= 0}^R(\rho^3cos^2(\theta)sin^3(\phi)d\rhod\thetad\phi[/tex]

(oops! Thanks, Fermat.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
It would seem more reasonable to me to use spherical coordinates:
[tex]x= \rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex] and [tex]dV= \rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho d\theta d\phi[/tex]
[tex]\int\rho x^2\ dV= \rho\int_{\phi=0}^\pi\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{\rho= 0}^R \rho^4cos^2(\theta)sin^3(\phi) d\rho d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Ah, now I can see what it says :smile:
 
Last edited: