1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using disk method with respect to y-axis

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y=[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex], x=4, y=0

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int^{c}_{d}{R(y)}^{2}[/tex]dy

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solve for x then pluged it into the formula

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex]{(y[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]}

The answer I got was [tex]\frac{32\pi}{5}[/tex]

but my text book says the answer should be [tex]\frac{128\pi}{5}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like what they want is the area between y=sqrt(x) and the vertical line x=4 rotated around the y-axis. You'll want to use washers. Or you could subtract your answer from the volume of the cylinder with radius 4 and height 2.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Yeah sorry, I thought I put that I was supposed to find the the volume as it rotates around the y-axis. which is what i tried to do by solving y=sqrt(x) for x=y^2 then I used that boundries 0-2 and integrated. How do you suppose I use washers? I thought the problem had to have two functions of x to do that.

Please help this problem has been bothering me since yesterday!
    Thanks!

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you cut the volume at a fixed value of y then you get a washer shaped region (a circle with a circular hole in the middle). The inner radius is where it hits y=sqrt(x) and, as you said, that's y^2. The outer radius is where it hits the line x=4. So the outer radius is 4. To use the method of washers, you integrate pi*(outer radius)^2-pi*(inner radius)^2.

6. Jan 30, 2009 #5
    I got it! thank you so much!! I can always depend on the PF members!

7. Jan 30, 2009 #6
    Oh, I was wondering can the disk method ever be used to find the volume around the y-axis? If so how can I tell? thanks!

8. Jan 30, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a sketch of the region. Do you see what you were doing wrong the first time? You were rotating the region between x=0 (the y-axis) and y=sqrt(x). Disks work fine for that. There's no hole in the middle. But what they wanted was the region between y=sqrt(x) and x=4. Now there's a hole in it and you should use washers. You were rotating the wrong region.

9. Jan 30, 2009 #8
    Ok, so for the volume of the same function about the x-axis the graph essentialliy swings down and around the axis with no gap in between the values of integation 0-4. However, by trying to find the volume of the same function as it swings around the y-axis there is a gap between the values of integration 0-2 which is accounted for by the funtion x=y^2. Right?

10. Jan 30, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds right. Because in your problem they wanted you to rotate the region OUTSIDE of the function, not inside.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?