Proving N(H) is a Subgroup of G to Normalizers in Group Theory

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wegmanstuna
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
wegmanstuna
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
For a subgroup H of G and a fixed element a ∈ G,
let H^a = {x∈ G / axa^-1 ∈ H}, it's normalizer N(H) = {a∈G / H^a=H}

Show that for any subgroup H of G, N(H) is a subgroup of G.



I know that for the first one I need to show that closure holds, an identity exists, and inverses exist. But I don't even know where to start with closure!
Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If a and b are in N(H), write down what H^(ab) is. Now maybe you can try showing that [itex]H^{ab} \subset H[/itex] and [itex]H \subset H^{ab}[/itex].