Proving Non-Existence of a Limit: Solving 1/(x^2+x^3)

  • Thread starter Thread starter lizielou09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
lizielou09
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

does not exist.

Prove that the limit as x approaches 0 of 1/(x2+x3)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know that I have to prove that the absolute value of 1/(x2+x3) - L is greater than or equal to epsilon for some delta. What do I do next?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of limit says:
[tex]\exists L, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0, \forall x \text{ s.t.} |x| < \delta: |f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/tex]
where L is the supposed limit.

What is the negation of this?
 
The negation would be that the absolute value of f(x)-L is greater than or equal to epsilon. But how do I prove that there exists a delta for which that is true?
 
Why don't you just show that for all positive real numbers M, |1/(x^2 + x^3)| > M if x is taken sufficiently small?
 
Yes, but you should take care with the quantifiers: the negation of
[tex] \exists L, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0[/tex]
is
[tex] \forall L, \exists \epsilon > 0, \forall \delta > 0[/tex]

I was stressing this because I think it is important that you do not fall into such logical traps.

Of course, if you just want to solve the question, follow JG's advice :)