Proving Parity in Normalized Solutions of the Schrodinger Equation

  • Thread starter Thread starter ProfessorChaos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Schrödinger
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ProfessorChaos
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hopefully this is in the correct section.

Struggling with this question though I don't think it should be particularly difficult:

Show that if V(x) = V(-x) normalised solutions to the time-independent Schrödinger equation have definite parity - that is, u(x) = +-u(-x)

(+- means plus or minus. Sorry for poor formatting - on phone)

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just read the "how to ask for help" sticky.

My attempt at a solution involved subbing y = -x. Obtaining a solution, then trying to normalise it. However I don't get anywhere really, and my line of argument through my current page of working reads unconvincing (I'm just guessing).

Cheers