1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to normalize Schrodinger equation

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The solution to the Schrodinger equation for a particular potential is psi = 0 for absolute x > a and psi = Asin(pi*x/a) for -a <= x <= a, where A and a are constants. In terms of a, what value of A is required to normalize psi?

2. Relevant equations

psi = 0 for absolute value of > a
    psi = Asin(pi*x/a) for -a<= x <= a

3. The attempt at a solution

The textbook gave the normalization as:

[integral] psi^2 dx = 1. The integral has upper limit positive infinity and lower limit negative infinity.

Can I just start by taking the integral of both sides of psi = Asin(pi*x/a)?

which makes psi = A-cos(pi*x/a) * pi*x^2/(2a)?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

The integral of ψ(x) from -∞ to +∞ is zero. After all, ψ(x) is an odd function.

(ψ(x))2 ≥ 0 for all x and it's greater than zero for some values of x, so its integral is definitely positive.

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    How did you know the integral is zero. Why is psi an odd function?

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle \Psi(x)=A\sin\left(\frac{\pi x}{a}\right)[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle \ \Psi(-x)=-\Psi(x)\,,\ [/itex] so [itex]\displaystyle \ \Psi(x)\ [/itex] is odd.

That's pretty much beside the point except that it definitely shows that in general, [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \left(f(x)\right)^2\,dx\ne\left(\,\int f(x)\,dx\right)^2\ .[/itex]

Solving your integral may be made easier by noting that [itex]\displaystyle \ \cos(2\theta)=1-2\sin^2(\theta) \ .\ \ [/itex] And solving for sin2(θ) gives [itex]\displaystyle \ \sin^2(\theta)=\frac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2} \ . \ [/itex]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. Mar 13, 2013 #5
    I know I stated -a<= x <= a. But x can be positive or negative. How did you know to choose x to be negative?

How is cos(2θ)=1−2sin2(θ)? I don't remember this being a trig identity. I am weak in math.

7. Mar 13, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted