1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Independent Schrodinger Equation

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Verify that a plane wave ψ(x) = Ae-ikx is a solution to the time independent Schrodinger equation for a free particle in one dimension. Can it be normalised? Why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My lecturer's notes are all over the place, which is frustrating. The only notes that I seem to have on this question, I cannot understand because they're scattered. If anyone has a link to a proof, or notes on it, I would be so grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

Ken G

Gold Member

Just look up the equation, and plug in that solution, and show it works. Then notice that the solution is infinite in space, with constant magnitude (it is a complex number of magnitude |A|2 but a phase that varies in space and time), so it cannot be normalized to unity when integrated over all space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted