1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving something involving real polynomials

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to prove, for part of a homework problem, that if the ratio of two polynomials ##p## and ##q## with real coefficients is a polynomial, then all of its coefficients are real.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, we can first note that for real ##x##, ##p\left(x\right)## and ##q\left(x\right)## are real, and so ##\lim\limits_{a\to x}\left(\dfrac{p\left(a\right)}{q\left(a\right)}\right)## is real (remember that ##\dfrac pq## is a polynomial, and thus ##p## is divisible by ##q##.) I seem to be stuck here proving that any polynomial ##\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## has real coefficients. Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh wait. I think maybe induction and differentiation might help?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think you need calculus (including limits) here. You have p(x)/q(x) = r(x), where all three functions are polynomials. This implies that p(x) = r(x) * q(x). I haven't taken this any further, but what I would do next is to write the terms of the three polynomials, noting that the sum of the degrees of r and q has to be equal to the degree of p. Then look at how each term of r(x) is computed.

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    Hmm. That would be

$$p_{a+b}\cdot x^{a+b}+p_{a+b-1}\cdot x^{a+b-1}+\ldots+p_0=\left(r_a\cdot x^a+r_{a-1}\cdot x^{a-1}+\ldots+r_0\right)\cdot\left(q_b\cdot x^b+q_{b-1}\cdot x^{b-1}+\ldots+q_0\right)$$

Examining each term, ##p_0=r_0\cdot q_0##, so ##r_0\in\mathbb{R}## (the projective reals are closed under division.) ##p_1=r_1\cdot q_0+r_0\cdot q_1## (hey, this resembles another approach I took to the problem!) Thus ##r_1\in\mathbb{R}##.

Ah, I see where this is going. Thanks!

Though the limits probably still are necessary, otherwise the domain of ##\dfrac pq## is ##\mathbb{R}\setminus\left\{x\ |\ q\left(x\right)=0\right\}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted