Proving something involving real polynomials

• Thread starter Whovian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, we are trying to prove that if the ratio of two polynomials with real coefficients is a polynomial, then all of its coefficients are real. We first note that for real x, p(x) and q(x) are real, and thus the limit of p(a)/q(a) as a approaches x is also real. Next, we use the fact that p(x)/q(x) = r(x) where all three functions are polynomials. By expanding the terms of the polynomials, we can see that the coefficients of r(x) must be real, proving our statement. However, it may still be necessary to consider limits in the case that q(x) is equal to 0.
Whovian

Homework Statement

I'm trying to prove, for part of a homework problem, that if the ratio of two polynomials ##p## and ##q## with real coefficients is a polynomial, then all of its coefficients are real.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, we can first note that for real ##x##, ##p\left(x\right)## and ##q\left(x\right)## are real, and so ##\lim\limits_{a\to x}\left(\dfrac{p\left(a\right)}{q\left(a\right)}\right)## is real (remember that ##\dfrac pq## is a polynomial, and thus ##p## is divisible by ##q##.) I seem to be stuck here proving that any polynomial ##\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## has real coefficients. Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh wait. I think maybe induction and differentiation might help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whovian said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to prove, for part of a homework problem, that if the ratio of two polynomials ##p## and ##q## with real coefficients is a polynomial, then all of its coefficients are real.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, we can first note that for real ##x##, ##p\left(x\right)## and ##q\left(x\right)## are real, and so ##\lim\limits_{a\to x}\left(\dfrac{p\left(a\right)}{q\left(a\right)}\right)## is real (remember that ##\dfrac pq## is a polynomial, and thus ##p## is divisible by ##q##.) I seem to be stuck here proving that any polynomial ##\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## has real coefficients. Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh wait. I think maybe induction and differentiation might help?

I don't think you need calculus (including limits) here. You have p(x)/q(x) = r(x), where all three functions are polynomials. This implies that p(x) = r(x) * q(x). I haven't taken this any further, but what I would do next is to write the terms of the three polynomials, noting that the sum of the degrees of r and q has to be equal to the degree of p. Then look at how each term of r(x) is computed.

Mark44 said:
I don't think you need calculus (including limits) here. You have p(x)/q(x) = r(x), where all three functions are polynomials. This implies that p(x) = r(x) * q(x). I haven't taken this any further, but what I would do next is to write the terms of the three polynomials, noting that the sum of the degrees of r and q has to be equal to the degree of p. Then look at how each term of r(x) is computed.

Hmm. That would be

$$p_{a+b}\cdot x^{a+b}+p_{a+b-1}\cdot x^{a+b-1}+\ldots+p_0=\left(r_a\cdot x^a+r_{a-1}\cdot x^{a-1}+\ldots+r_0\right)\cdot\left(q_b\cdot x^b+q_{b-1}\cdot x^{b-1}+\ldots+q_0\right)$$

Examining each term, ##p_0=r_0\cdot q_0##, so ##r_0\in\mathbb{R}## (the projective reals are closed under division.) ##p_1=r_1\cdot q_0+r_0\cdot q_1## (hey, this resembles another approach I took to the problem!) Thus ##r_1\in\mathbb{R}##.

Ah, I see where this is going. Thanks!

Though the limits probably still are necessary, otherwise the domain of ##\dfrac pq## is ##\mathbb{R}\setminus\left\{x\ |\ q\left(x\right)=0\right\}##.

1. How can I prove that a polynomial has a real root?

To prove that a polynomial has a real root, you can use the intermediate value theorem. This theorem states that if a continuous function takes on two different values at two points, then it must also take on every value in between those two points. Therefore, if you can find two points where the polynomial takes on different signs (i.e. one positive and one negative), then there must be a point in between where the polynomial is equal to 0, which indicates a real root.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial and why is it important in proving its properties?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest power of the variable present in the polynomial. This is important in proving properties of polynomials because it determines the maximum number of roots the polynomial can have. For example, a polynomial of degree n can have at most n distinct roots. It also affects the behavior of the polynomial at the ends of the real number line - polynomials of even degree have the same sign at both ends, while polynomials of odd degree have opposite signs at the ends.

3. Can a polynomial with only real coefficients have complex roots?

Yes, it is possible for a polynomial with only real coefficients to have complex roots. This is because of the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. Therefore, even though a polynomial may have real coefficients, it can still have complex roots.

4. How can I determine the multiplicity of a root for a polynomial?

The multiplicity of a root for a polynomial is the number of times the root appears as a solution to the equation. To determine the multiplicity, you can factor the polynomial and see how many times the root appears in the factors. For example, if a root appears twice in the factors, it has a multiplicity of 2. This is important because the multiplicity affects the behavior of the polynomial at the root - a root with an odd multiplicity will cross the x-axis, while a root with an even multiplicity will bounce off the x-axis at the root.

5. How can I prove the existence of a polynomial with specific roots?

The existence of a polynomial with specific roots can be proved using the factor theorem. This theorem states that if a polynomial has a root of a certain value, then it can be factored by (x - a), where a is the value of the root. Therefore, to prove the existence of a polynomial with specific roots, you can use this theorem to construct the polynomial with the desired roots. You can also use the fundamental theorem of algebra to ensure that the polynomial has the correct number of roots.