Proving that l^p is properly contained in l^q for 1<=p<q<=infty

• Thread starter michael.wes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the containment of l^{p} in l^{q} for 1\leq p < q \leq \infty, with the use of cauchy-schwarz inequality and a comparison test for series. The conversation also suggests thinking of a necessary condition for {an} to be in lp re the partial sums as n→∞.
michael.wes
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex]l^{p}\subsetneq l^q[/tex] for [tex]1\leq p < q \leq \infty[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to prove the [tex]q=\infty[/tex] case, and how to find an example where the containment is proper (just take the harmonic series to the appropriate power), but I cannot find a way to prove the actual containment. I tried re-writing as follows, to try and use the cauchy-schwarz inequality, but I don't even know if it holds in an infinite dimensional vector space..

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty |x_n|^q = \sum_{n=1}^\infty |x_n|^p|x_n|^{q/p}[/tex]

I'm trying to show that [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty |x_n|^p = M^p[/tex] for some real, finite M implies that [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}|x_n|^q[/tex] is bounded above by something which depends on this limit, and hence I can just raise both sides to the power 1/q, and I will have the containment. But like I said before, I have searched around but I could not find any hints.

Any help is appreciated!
M

Physics news on Phys.org
What about a simple comparison test for series?

Thanks micromass. that was a helpful tip

I was reviewing this, and this post came up. It may give someone else a slightly-different
perspective.Sorry if necro-posting is not helpful --please let me know:

A tip related to micromass': Think of the function f(x)= ax for a constant;

where is it increasing/decreasing? Think , too, of a necessary condition for {an}

to be in lp re the partial sums as n→∞.

What does it mean for l^p to be properly contained in l^q?

Proper containment means that every element in l^p is also an element of l^q, but there are elements in l^q that are not in l^p. In other words, l^p is a subset of l^q, but they are not equal.

What is the significance of proving this statement?

This statement is important in functional analysis, as it helps to understand the relationship between different function spaces. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as harmonic analysis and probability theory.

How is this statement proven?

The proof involves using the Hölder's inequality and the fact that l^p is a Banach space. It also involves constructing a sequence of functions that converge to a function in l^q but not in l^p.

Can you give an example of two function spaces that satisfy this statement?

One example is the space of square-integrable functions (l^2) and the space of continuous functions (l^{\infty}) on the interval [0,1]. Every continuous function on [0,1] is square-integrable, but not every square-integrable function is continuous. Therefore, l^2 is properly contained in l^{\infty}.

Is this statement true for all values of p and q?

No, this statement is only true for 1<=pq, l^p contains l^q.