Proving the Evenness of Fibonacci Numbers through Division by 3

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Division Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
mattmns
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
5
Here is the question:
------
Prove that [itex]f_{n}[/itex] is even if and only if n is divisible by 3. ([itex]f_{n}[/itex] is of course the nth Fibonacci number)
------

Proving that n is divisible by 3 => [itex]f_{n}[/itex] is even is easily done by induction, but the other implication is eluding me. It is easy to show that [itex]f_{n}[/itex] is even iff [itex]f_{n-3}[/itex] is even, but I can't see if this helps. Any ideas about how to prove this implication? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
It is easy to show that [itex]f_{n}[/itex] is even iff [itex]f_{n-3}[/itex] is even, but I can't see if this helps.
If this is easy to show, then it would be enough to look at the evenness of [tex]f_0, f_1[/tex], and [tex]f_2[/tex].
 
I was thinking about that, and I think you are absolutely right. Thanks.