Proving the half-life of Potassium-40

  • Thread starter Thread starter GandhiReborn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Half-life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
GandhiReborn
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"K-40... decays by two radioactive processes. It can decay by electron capture or β- emission.

It is found that a sample containing 4.0x10^18 nuclei of K-40 emits a total of 68 β- particles and photons each second. This shows the half life is 1.3x10^9 years."

Use the data in the passage to show that the half life is 1.3x10^9 years.

Homework Equations



I'm assuming...

T1/2 = ln2/λ; A=λN; A=A0e^(-λ)(t)

The Attempt at a Solution



Using A=λN --> A/N=λ --> (68)/(4*10^18) = 1.7^10-17
then ln2/(1.7^10-17) = 4.1*10^16 ->> waayy too big.

I then tried various other combinations of the above, but to no success.

Please help! I know I'm missing something VERY obvious.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated (correctly) the half-life in seconds. Now convert to years.
 
phyzguy said:
You calculated (correctly) the half-life in seconds. Now convert to years.

D'oh!

You legend, thank you :D