Proving the Limit of 2^(1/n) = 1

  • Thread starter Thread starter tarheelborn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
tarheelborn
Messages
121
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How do I prove that lim 2^(1/n) = 1?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually part of a series problem, so I have determined that the sequence of a_n's is decreasing and that it seems to converge to 1. I know that I need to find N \in the naturals such that |2^(1/n)| < epsilon, but I can't seem to figure out how to solve in terms of epsilon.
 
Since [itex]2^{1/n}[/itex] is always greater than 1 (prove this!), you can forget the absolute value. Try taking the natural log of both sides of [itex]2^{1/n}-1<\epsilon[/itex] and solving for [itex]n[/itex].