Proving the Limit of (3n+5)/2(n+1)^2 is 0 as n Approaches Infinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter bedi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinity Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
bedi
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Prove that the limit of (3n+5)/2(n+1)^2 is 0 when n goes to infinity.

Attempt: I need to find an N such that for any €>0, (3n+5)/2(n+1)^2<€ holds for every n with n>N.

Then I made some manipulation;

(3n+5)/2(n+1)^2 < (3n+5)/(2n^2 +4n) < (3n+6)/(2n^2 +4n) = (n+3)/(n^2 +2n) < (n+3)/n^2

Then what? Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bedi! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

= n/n2 + 3/n2 ? :smile:

(btw, you could have started (3n+3)/2(n+1)2 + 2/2(n+1)2 :wink:)
 
bedi said:
Alright, then should I ignore 3/n2?

nooo, you should prove that its limit is 0 ! :smile:
 
So I choose N such that 1/N<ε, which is permitted by the Archimedean property. Hence 1/n<1/N<ε. This proves that the limit of the first term is 0. To show that the limit of 3/n2 is also 0, I can use the same argument, can't I?