Proving the pigeonhole directly. I'm stuck.

• Thread starter psycho2499
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the pigeonhole principle is a mathematical principle that states that if there are n+1 objects placed into n pigeonholes, at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one object. To prove it directly, one must show that for any set of n+1 objects placed into n pigeonholes, at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one object. An example of a direct proof of the pigeonhole principle is if you have 6 socks of 3 different colors (2 of each color) and you randomly grab 5 socks, then at least 2 of the socks must be the same color. However, the pigeonhole principle can also be proved indirectly through contradiction or by using a proof by induction. It is important
psycho2499

Homework Statement

Prove the pigeonhole principle directly. so basically |Nk-{x}|=|Nk-1| if k>1 is an integer and x belongs to the set of naturals.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea even where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't it suffice to write down a bijection between the two sets you mentioned?

Yeah I guess that would work since things are equivalent if they are a bijection. Thanks man

1. How do I prove the pigeonhole principle directly?

To prove the pigeonhole principle directly, you need to show that for any set of n+1 objects placed into n pigeonholes, at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one object.

2. What is the pigeonhole principle?

The pigeonhole principle is a mathematical principle that states that if there are n+1 objects placed into n pigeonholes, at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one object.

3. What is an example of proving the pigeonhole principle directly?

An example of proving the pigeonhole principle directly is if you have 6 socks of 3 different colors (2 of each color) and you randomly grab 5 socks, then at least 2 of the socks must be the same color.

4. Are there any other ways to prove the pigeonhole principle?

Yes, the pigeonhole principle can also be proved indirectly through contradiction or by using a proof by induction.

5. Why is it important to understand how to prove the pigeonhole principle directly?

Understanding how to prove the pigeonhole principle directly can help in solving various mathematical problems and can also serve as a basis for understanding other principles and theorems in mathematics.