Proving the Summation of an Infinite Series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
andyk23
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement

∑ i=1 to n1+(1/i2)+(1/(1+i)2)−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√ = n(n+2)/n+1

2. The attempt at a solution

First I did the base case of p(1) showing 3/2 on the LHS equals the 3/2 on the RHS.
Then I assumed p(k) and wrote out the formula with k in it.
Then prove p(k+1)= p(k)+ 1+1/(k+1)2+1/(k+2)2−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√
=k(k+2)/k+1 + 1+1/(k+1)2+1/(k+2)2−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√
Then I squared each to get rid of the square root.
(k(k+2)/(k+1))^2+ (k+1)^2/(k+1)^2 + 1/(k+1)^2 + 1/(k+2)^2
Now I'm stuck any Guidance would be great thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
andyk23 said:
1. Homework Statement

∑ i=1 to n1+(1/i2)+(1/(1+i)2)−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√ = n(n+2)/n+1
The above line is nonsensical. Not enough parentheses, probably missing exponentiation, dangling radical ...

Do you mean [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1+1/(i^2)+1/(1+i)^2}\ \ = \ \ n(n+2)/(n+1)\ ?[/itex]

If so, then I must be a much better mind reader than I have ever been given credit for !
2. The attempt at a solution

First I did the base case of p(1) showing 3/2 on the LHS equals the 3/2 on the RHS.
Then I assumed p(k) and wrote out the formula with k in it.
Then prove p(k+1)= p(k)+ 1+1/(k+1)2+1/(k+2)2−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√
=k(k+2)/k+1 + 1+1/(k+1)2+1/(k+2)2−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√
Then I squared each to get rid of the square root.
(k(k+2)/(k+1))^2+ (k+1)^2/(k+1)^2 + 1/(k+1)^2 + 1/(k+2)^2
Now I'm stuck any Guidance would be great thanks!
 
andyk23 said:
yes sorry about that!
You answered "yes" to what? Please be precise .
 
SammyS said:
Do you mean [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n}\sqrt{1+1/(i^2)+1/(1+i)^2}\ \ = \ \ n(n+2)/(n+1)\ ?[/itex]

If so, then I must be a much better mind reader than I have ever been given credit for !

Yes I meant that!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As you stated: For the induction step, you assume that
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k}\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{i^2}+\frac{1}{(1+i)^2}}\ = \ \frac{k(k+2)}{k+1}[/itex]​
for k ≥ 1 . From that assumption, show that it follows that
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{i^2}+\frac{1}{(1+i)^2}}\ = \ \frac{(k+1)(k+3)}{k+2}\ .[/itex]​

So look at [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{i^2}+\frac{1}{(1+i)^2}}\,,\ \[/itex] which you can write as [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}+\frac{1}{(k+2)^2}}+\sum_{i=1}^{k}\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{i^2}+\frac{1}{(1+i)^2}}\ .[/itex]

Now use you assumption, then do some algebra.
 
I'm just having a trouble showing, [itex]\frac{k(k+2)}{k+1} + \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}+\frac{1}{(k+2)^2}}\ .[/itex] = [itex]\frac{k+1(k+1)}{k+1+2}\ .[/itex]
 
I'm just having a trouble showing, [itex]\frac{k(k+2)}{k+1} + \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}+\frac{1}{(k+2)^2}}+\sum_{i=1}^{k}\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{i^2}+\frac{1}{(1+i)^2}}\ .[/itex] = [itex]\frac{k+1(k+1+2)}{k+1}\ .[itex][/itex][/itex]
 
I'm just having a trouble showing, [itex]\frac{k(k+2)}{k+1} + \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{(k+1)^2}+\frac{1}{(k+2)^2}}\[/itex] = [itex]\frac{k+1(k+1+2)}{k+1}\[/itex]
 
What you really need to show next is
$$
\frac{k(k+2)}{k+1}+\sqrt{1+\frac1{(k+1)^2}+\frac1{(k+2)^2}} = \frac{\color{red}{(k+1)} (k+3)}{k+\color{red}2}.
$$
I'd try subtracting ##\frac{k(k+2)}{k+1}## on both sides and then squaring the results.