1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving ∏ with summation and/or Lhopitals?

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Someone in school was showing me this proof or problem that, I believe, proves or yields π via this limit: Lim x-->0 of [itex]\frac{xπcot(πx)}{x}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] = tan(0) = 0

And that this somehow related to a summation [itex]\sum1/k^{2}[/itex] as the sum goes from 1 to ∞.

I don't recall any of the details about the proof or what the proof is proving (but I think it has something to do with proving that that π=3.14 as the sum gets closer to infinity.)

Does anything like this look or sound familiar to any known proof?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    There seems to be some confusion with what you have.

First ##\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}=\frac{ \pi ^2}{6}##.

Here is the proof. I will be using the series for ##(\pi\cot\pi z)'## at ##z=0##

We have that ##\sin\pi z = \pi z\prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(1 - \frac{z^2}{n^2}\right)## which is an entire function with simple zeros exactly at the integers.
    We can differentiate termwise by uniform convergence.
    So by logarithmic differentiation, we obtain a series for ##\pi\cot\pi z##.
    $$
    \frac{d}{dz}\ln\left(\sin\pi z\right) = \pi\cot\pi z = \frac{1}{z} - 2z\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2 - z^2}
    $$
    So we have that ##-\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n^2 - z^2} = \dfrac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z}##.
    In order to observe that the limit as ##z## goes to 0 works, we need to look at the power series of
    $$
    \pi\cot\pi z = \frac{1}{z} - \frac{\pi^2}{3}z - \frac{\pi^4}{45}z^3 -\cdots.
    $$
    So by taking the Taylor series expansion of ##\cot\pi z## and multiplying by ##\pi##, we have
    \begin{align}
    \frac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z} &= \frac{- \frac{\pi^2}{3}z - \frac{\pi^4}{45}z^3 -\cdots}{2z}\notag\\
    &= -\frac{\pi^2}{6} - \frac{\pi^4}{90}z^2 -\cdots.\notag
    \end{align}
    At this point, the singularity at 0 has been removed.
    So
    \begin{align}
    \lim_{z\to 0}-\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2 - z^2} = \lim_{z\to 0}\frac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z}\notag\\
    -\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} = \lim_{z\to 0}\left[\frac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z}\right]\notag\\
    \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}.\notag
    \end{align}

Last edited: May 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook