Public notice on restoring Internet Freedom

• Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: This is already possible, because the choice of DNS server is ultimately made by your computer, not your ISP. The problem is that, except for a few techies like me, nobody ever changes the default settings of their computer on how to choose its DNS server, which are to use whichever one is provided by your ISP. This is fixable with software, but since the DNS services provided by ISPs work, there hasn't been any impetus to provide such software in such a way that ordinary users could use it.
The FCC's notice regarding possible net neutrality rulemaking got posted the other day:

https://www.fcc.gov/document/public-notice-filing-comments-restoring-internet-freedom

It's every bit as bad as expected.

One thing we as citizens can do is submit "filings" on the FCC website. I submitted one here:

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/10427019504580

I'm expecting the same organizations that mobilized against SOPA and PIPA (such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation) to do so again.

Last edited:
Likes Imager, OmCheeto and Routaran
Computer science news on Phys.org
From your 2nd link:

Paragraph 30 attempts to argue that network management activities such as firewalling and IPV4 - IPV6 translation constitute changing the information being transmitted.

That's a ridiculous argument. This is like arguing that the stamp they add to an envelope (the ink stamp that is done over the physical stamp to indicate it's been processed) constitutes a change to the letter inside.

Here' a link to the Restoring Internet Freedom public draft:
https://www.fcc.gov/document/restoring-internet-freedom

Good arguments Peter. I didn't get involved in the 2015 debate on classifying broadband internet as a telecommunications service for FCC regulation, but I will review the draft to see if I should post a comment opposing deregulation as well.

My first thought from reading your arguments is if providing DNS services gives ISPs leverage to call themselves service providers, then they should not be allowed to provide DNS services unless they give the users a choice of other providers, similar to how web browsers allow users to choose different search providers. An ISP should be like a web browser, just a tool for users to access content they want; it should not interfere or persuade them in what they access.

Last edited:
stoomart said:
they should not be allowed to provide DNS services unless they give the users a choice of other providers

This is already possible, because the choice of DNS server is ultimately made by your computer, not your ISP. The problem is that, except for a few techies like me, nobody ever changes the default settings of their computer on how to choose its DNS server, which are to use whichever one is provided by your ISP. This is fixable with software, but since the DNS services provided by ISPs work, there hasn't been any impetus to provide such software in such a way that ordinary users could use it.

PeterDonis said:
This is already possible, because the choice of DNS server is ultimately made by your computer, not your ISP. The problem is that, except for a few techies like me, nobody ever changes the default settings of their computer on how to choose its DNS server, which are to use whichever one is provided by your ISP. This is fixable with software, but since the DNS services provided by ISPs work, there hasn't been any impetus to provide such software in such a way that ordinary users could use it.
Agreed. These default services and content filtering (like blocking outbound SMTP and sometimes DNS) are provided in the name of security, which I think should be provided as an 'add-on' product to the user. Choosing DNS providers could easily be done during router setup, which funny enough, are usually bundled with the modems the ISPs provide.

On my home network through Comcast, I use a custom firewall/router to redirect all outbound DNS client requests to the OpenDNS servers, which provide content and malware filtering.
At work, we restrict outbound DNS traffic to our internal DNS servers and perform security analytics on the logs; I presume ISPs perform similar analytics from their server logs for marketing/consumer behavior intelligence.

Last edited:
Here's the text of my filing I submitted today, will update this post with the link when published.

Like all underlying internet access technologies, broadband internet, in its basic form of providing IP/IPv6 network communication to the internet, does not meet the criteria of being classified as an "information service" as defined in paragraph 26:

"the offering of a capability for generating, acTuiring (sic), storing, transforming, processing, retrieving, utilizing, or making available information via telecommunications, and includes electronic publishing, but does not include any use of any such capability for the management, control, or operation of a telecommunications system or the management of a telecommunications service."

All of these capabilities (DNS, DHCP, email, web, etc.) can and should be facilitated by the end-user client/router/firewall and internet servers independent of ISPs, whose involvement is only required during the initial line and IP address provisioning to the modem.​

I never got an email confirmation, but I found it by searching: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/105100105010210

Just a few comments so far:

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
I sent in my filing after watching John Oliver's show last Sunday!

Likes stoomart
PeterDonis said:
What do you expect from a public that keeps saying things like " I like google/yahoo/etc., it's free"?

What is the purpose of the Public Notice on Restoring Internet Freedom?

The Public Notice on Restoring Internet Freedom was issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in April 2017. Its purpose was to solicit public comments on the proposed plan to repeal the net neutrality rules put in place by the previous administration.

What are the key components of the plan to restore Internet freedom?

The plan to restore Internet freedom includes three main components: reclassifying broadband internet as an information service rather than a telecommunications service, eliminating the "general conduct standard" which allowed the FCC to regulate internet service providers (ISPs) on a case-by-case basis, and removing the ban on paid prioritization, which would allow ISPs to charge for faster access to certain websites or services.

How will the repeal of net neutrality affect the average consumer?

Without net neutrality protections, ISPs may be tempted to charge consumers more for access to certain websites or services, or they may slow down or block access to certain content altogether. This could make it more expensive for consumers to access the internet and limit their ability to freely and easily access the content of their choice.

What are the arguments in favor of restoring Internet freedom?

Supporters of the plan argue that it will promote competition and innovation in the broadband market by reducing government regulation. They also claim that the repeal of net neutrality will lead to increased investment in broadband infrastructure and ultimately benefit consumers by providing faster and more reliable internet access.

What are the potential consequences of repealing net neutrality?

Critics of the plan warn that without net neutrality, ISPs may have the power to control what content is readily available to consumers and could potentially stifle competition and limit free speech. They also argue that the repeal of net neutrality could lead to higher prices for consumers and smaller businesses being unable to compete with larger corporations who can afford to pay for faster access to their websites.