1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Publication Bias and Replication Crisis

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    I've heard tell of a science journal like Science or Nature that a) only publishes studies with null results, and/or b) only publishes heavily replicated studies. Is this true? and if so, what's it called?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

where did you hear that ?

4. Oct 18, 2016 #3
    I wouldn't single out Nature or Science here since they are top-notch publications.

Publication bias is a general issue, resulting from human nature. Magazines and Journals need to keep their readers, and nobody gets excited about a "10 things that totally didn't work" article. It's good science to publish that, but it's bad business.

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4
    I heard it from a friend. Where he heard it from I don't know.

You're right. It's a business. I don't fault Science or Nature specifically. But I'm with Popper on the role of falsification in science, so basically, I'd absolutely want to read a "10 Things That Totally Didn't Work" article.

6. Oct 21, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's not really something we can track down. Not much better than "I know a guy who knows a guy..."

Do you subscribe to Science or Nature? If so, write them and tell them. If not, well, why would they care what a non-subscriber thinks?

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe he was talking about this recent video?

8. Oct 21, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

PF's favorite pastime - guess what the OP meant,

9. Oct 22, 2016 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This thread is closed for now.

@Ontophobe if you have a specific professional article you would like to discuss then please let me know by PM and I will reopen the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook