Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Publication Bias and Replication Crisis

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    I've heard tell of a science journal like Science or Nature that a) only publishes studies with null results, and/or b) only publishes heavily replicated studies. Is this true? and if so, what's it called?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

where did you hear that ?

4. Oct 18, 2016 #3
    I wouldn't single out Nature or Science here since they are top-notch publications.

Publication bias is a general issue, resulting from human nature. Magazines and Journals need to keep their readers, and nobody gets excited about a "10 things that totally didn't work" article. It's good science to publish that, but it's bad business.

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4
    I heard it from a friend. Where he heard it from I don't know.

You're right. It's a business. I don't fault Science or Nature specifically. But I'm with Popper on the role of falsification in science, so basically, I'd absolutely want to read a "10 Things That Totally Didn't Work" article.

6. Oct 21, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's not really something we can track down. Not much better than "I know a guy who knows a guy..."

Do you subscribe to Science or Nature? If so, write them and tell them. If not, well, why would they care what a non-subscriber thinks?

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe he was talking about this recent video?

8. Oct 21, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

PF's favorite pastime - guess what the OP meant,

9. Oct 22, 2016 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This thread is closed for now.

@Ontophobe if you have a specific professional article you would like to discuss then please let me know by PM and I will reopen the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook