1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Publication list - do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    publication list -- do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

As titled, when you apply for jobs do you put papers/articles that are in preparation (so they are not even posted on the arXiv) in your CV or publication list?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: publication list -- do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

If the result has not been shown in public yet - arXiv or conference - I don't include it.

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a paper accepted for publication but not yet actually published, or a conference has invited you to present a paper or a keynote speech, or a journal/magazine has commissioned you to write an article, I wouldn't see any problem including those and stating where and/or when they will eventually appear.

But for anything else, what V50 said.

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4

eri

I've gotten very different advice from professors on this. Some say don't include anything that hasn't been accepted to a journal, some say you can include it after you submit it, and my most recent adviser wants me to include publications in preparation (but only ones I am first author on and having a working draft for). And it may also depend on what the publication list is for - for grants, including in-prep work might be more accepted, since you may be applying for funding or time from the same organization and want to show them you're making progress with their money/time from previous cycles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook