Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Publication list - do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    publication list -- do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

As titled, when you apply for jobs do you put papers/articles that are in preparation (so they are not even posted on the arXiv) in your CV or publication list?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Re: publication list -- do you put papers/journals in preparation in it?

If the result has not been shown in public yet - arXiv or conference - I don't include it.

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a paper accepted for publication but not yet actually published, or a conference has invited you to present a paper or a keynote speech, or a journal/magazine has commissioned you to write an article, I wouldn't see any problem including those and stating where and/or when they will eventually appear.

But for anything else, what V50 said.

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4

eri

I've gotten very different advice from professors on this. Some say don't include anything that hasn't been accepted to a journal, some say you can include it after you submit it, and my most recent adviser wants me to include publications in preparation (but only ones I am first author on and having a working draft for). And it may also depend on what the publication list is for - for grants, including in-prep work might be more accepted, since you may be applying for funding or time from the same organization and want to show them you're making progress with their money/time from previous cycles.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook