1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Publications and Presentations": what do they mean by presentations?

Tags:
  1. Sep 14, 2014 #1
    I'm filling out a grad application to Berkeley, and one of the forms has the title "Publications and Presentations" and asks
    I have no publications and I haven't given presentations in the context of a conference or the like, so it seems reasonable to leave this blank.

However "presentations" sounds vague. For example, what about

1) Talks I've given? For example in student seminars?
    2) Defenses of (bachelors/masters) projects?

Would it make sense to mention those instead of leaving it blank?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If it's not spelled out in the application, I would contact the graduate department and ask for clarification.

Generally conference presentations are published in proceedings or special editions of particular journals, so it's generally straight forward to pick out the peer-reviewed work from the non-peer reviewed stuff. Non-peer reviewed stuff may or may not be given weight, depending on how the particular department sees things.

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3
    Thank you Choppy. I contacted the department and this was their reply (which might be useful for others who stumble upon my question in the future):

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think I would include the best available things - still better than leaving it blank. For a grad school application, conference talks are probably rare.
    My experience is limited to particle physics, I don't know how it is elsewhere - as a PhD student, you typically get one or two talks at relevant conferences. Going to an international conference before you start your PhD thesis is quite rare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook