1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulling block up incline with winch.

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1200 kg block of granite is pulled up an incline that has an angle of inclination q = 23 ° with a constant speed of 1.23 m/s by a steam winch (see Figure). The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.14. How much power must be supplied by the winch?

2. Relevant equations

(That I know of) P=TxV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need help finding the tension in the cable between the winch and block. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Draw a force diagram. What forces are there? What forces are there along the line of the Tension in the cable that needs to be overcome?

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    Forces in the X direction are friction and weight (MG) and of course T which we need to find. I', just stuck on how to use these.

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK. Write a force equation. What must be balanced if it is not accelerating, but moving at constant speed?

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    The force of friction and mg and the pulling force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?