1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String with mass pulling block up frictionless ramp

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass M has a string of mass m attached to it. A force F is applied to the string and it pulls the block up a frictionless plane that is inclined at an angle theta. Find the force that the string exerts on the block

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Force of the string on the block = Force of the block on the string = N
    Force applied to string = F
    acceleration of block = acceleration of string = a

My first equation was the net-force equation for the string:
    ma = -mg*sin(theta) - N + F

My second equation was the net-force equation for the block:
    Ma = -Mg*sin(theta) + N

solving for the acceleration in the top equation and plugging it into the second equation gives the following (after a small amount of algebra)

N = (F/m)*(1+M/m)^-1

Which is not the answer I am supposed to be getting. I am guessing the problem is with my net-force equations but I can't located a specific problem. Anyone want to explain what I'm doing wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2
    first try and write the net-force equation for the whole system (meaning substitute a block M and a string m, with a new object with mass M+m) Now we can forget about internal forces between mass and string. so we just have two force, the force f we apply and the one due to gravity. This way you can find a (acceleration) of the objects.

4. Sep 24, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your initial equations are ok but you must have gone wrong in the subsequent algebra. Your final equation is not dimensionally consistent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted