Help Solving Physics Problem: 2 Wires, Block & Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity at which a block rises when two wires on both sides are moving with a downward velocity u. The angle with the vertical is given as a. The solution involves using Pythagoras theorem on the red triangle and differentiating it. The speed of the string is represented by dl/dt and the velocity needed is represented by dh/dt. The correct answer is not 2ucos(a) but can be found using the method suggested.
phymatter

Homework Statement

[URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/questionf.png/][PLAIN]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4880/questionf.png[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

if the 2 wires on both sides move with downward velocity u , with what velocity does the block rise , the angle with vertical is a ;

The Attempt at a Solution

i cannot figure out the solution, i think it should be 2ucos(a)
please help!1

Physics news on Phys.org
attachment.php?attachmentid=33299&stc=1&d=1300634118.png

consider the triangle in red

use Pythagoras theorem on it and differentiate it.

dh/dt is what you need and dl/dt is speed of string
what you think of db/dt ?

Attachments

• questionf.png
    questionf.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 469
thanks cupid.callin !

so is 2ucos(a) right? i think it should be!

Kartikc said:
so is 2ucos(a) right? i think it should be!

no its not ...

even i thought it should be but its not

try the way i told and you'll get the answer

1. What is the physics problem involving 2 wires, a block, and velocity?

The physics problem involves two parallel wires with electric currents, a block placed between the wires, and an initial velocity given to the block. The goal is to determine the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the block due to the magnetic fields created by the currents in the wires.

2. What are the key concepts needed to solve this problem?

The key concepts needed to solve this problem are the right-hand rule for determining the direction of the magnetic field, the relationship between electric current and magnetic field, and the formula for calculating the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

3. How do I approach solving this problem?

The first step is to draw a diagram of the problem and label the given information, such as the direction and magnitude of the currents, the distance between the wires, and the velocity of the block. Then, use the key concepts mentioned above to determine the direction and magnitude of the force on the block. Finally, plug in the values into the formula and solve for the force.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of problem?

One common mistake is not using the correct hand for the right-hand rule. Another mistake is not paying attention to the direction of the current or velocity, which can result in getting the wrong answer. It is also important to use consistent units throughout the problem to avoid errors in calculations.

5. Can this problem be solved using different methods?

Yes, this problem can also be solved using vector analysis or using the Lorentz force law. However, the method described above is the most common and straightforward approach.