Pulsar Angular acceleration question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular acceleration for a certain pulsar with given values of period and rate of increase of rotation. The definition of angular acceleration is mentioned and the correct method for calculation is clarified. The conversation ends with a thank-you note.
ja sam glup

Homework Statement

The problem is as follows. A certain pulsar (a rapidly rotating neutron star) has a period of rotation of 0.033s, and this is observed to be increased at a rate of 1.26(10^(-5)) seconds per year. what is the value of the angular acceleration in rad/s^2?

Homework Equations

w (omega) = 2pi/T. I calculated that to be 190.4.

angular acceleration = change in w / change in t.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I assumed that the angular acceleration is constant. If this is so, then I should get my answer by calculating the angular velocity at T = 0.033s, and subtracting that calculated value with T= 0.033 + 1.26x10^(-5), and divide that number by 1.26x10^(-5). However, this didn't get me the right answer.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of angular acceleration is "rate of change of angular velocity over time."

So, I assumed that the angular acceleration is constant. If this is so, then I should get my answer by calculating the angular velocity at T = 0.033s, and subtracting that calculated value with T= 0.033 + 1.26x10^(-5)

True.

But you don't divide the result by 1.26(10^(-5)). You are going to end up with a angular acceleration in rad/year^2. You have to convert those year^2 to sec^2.

EDIT: You have to subtract T=0.033s to T= 0.033 + 1.26x10^(-5) s. So the angular acceleration is negative.

Source:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Torque_and_angular_acceleration

(at the very bottom)

Last edited:
Ahh yes ok, didn't catch that. Thanks!

1. What is a pulsar?

A pulsar is a highly magnetized, rotating neutron star that emits beams of electromagnetic radiation, similar to a lighthouse. This radiation can be observed as pulses of light, hence the name "pulsar".

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, or how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

3. How is pulsar angular acceleration measured?

Pulsar angular acceleration is measured by analyzing the pulsar's periodic signals and observing any changes in the rotation period over time. This can be done using radio telescopes and other instruments.

4. What causes pulsar angular acceleration?

The exact cause of pulsar angular acceleration is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be due to the interaction between the pulsar's intense magnetic field and its surrounding environment, such as the surrounding gas and dust.

5. Why is studying pulsar angular acceleration important?

Studying pulsar angular acceleration can provide valuable insights into the structure and dynamics of neutron stars, as well as the extreme conditions of their environments. It can also help scientists better understand the laws of physics and test theories such as general relativity.