What is the Correct Equation for Angular Acceleration in this Flywheel Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular acceleration of a flywheel that rotates with an angular velocity of w=0.005theta^2 rad/s after it has rotated 20 revolutions. The book's incorrect definition of alpha as dw/dtheta is corrected by the use of the chain rule, which results in the correct definition of alpha as dω/dt. The book then multiplies this value by w to get the correct answer for alpha.
k_squared

Homework Statement

"The flywheel rotates with angular velocity of w=0.005theta^2 rad/s. Determine the angular acceleration after it has rotated 20 revolutions.

Homework Equations

I thought the equations were all but self-evident using the problem description! (See below.)
alpha=dw/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The angular velocity is merely a=0.01theta. I just plugged in 20*2pi for the acceleration at that time and was... wrong. Massively wrong, in fact. The book solutions agrees with me about my equations for w and a, but they actually multiple the acceleration and the velocity together!

The book defines alpha as dw/dtheta... but then, in this solution set, states that alpha=w(dw)(dtheta), which is not something I can make *any* sense out of. They then use this value of alpha to compute the acceleration over a rotation of (40pi), complete with theta cubed.

What happened here? I can't make heads or tails of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
k_squared said:
The book defines alpha as dw/dtheta
Are you sure of this definition?

You need to use the chain rule of differentiation when applying ##\frac{d}{dt}## on ##[\theta (t)]^2##.

Likes Delta2
due to the chain rule of differentiation it is ##\frac{dw}{dt}=\frac{dw}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}## and it is also ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=w## so what your book says is correct.

k_squared said:
The book defines alpha as dw/dtheta... but then, in this solution set, states that alpha=w(dw)(dtheta), which is not something I can make *any* sense out of. They then use this value of alpha to compute the acceleration over a rotation of (40pi), complete with theta cubed.

your book is wrong, it is not $$\alpha = w\times dw \times d\theta$$

it is,
$$\alpha = {d \omega \over dt} = \underbrace{{d\omega \over d\theta } \times {d\theta \over dt}}_{\text{chain rule}} = ?$$

Delta² said:
due to the chain rule of differentiation it is ##\frac{dw}{dt}=\frac{dw}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}## and it is also ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}=w## so what your book says is correct.
... assuming k2 meant alpha=w(dw)/(dtheta) and not
k_squared said:
alpha=w(dw)(dtheta),

guys I believe the post has some typos, I believe he meant to write that his book says that a=wdw/dtheta , ##a=w\frac{dw}{d\theta}## in latex :).

I'll give you a screenshot if you want!

The book defined alpha (angular acceleration, I take it) merely as $$\frac{dw}{d\theta}$$. Then is also says that $$\alpha d\theta = \omega d\omega$$.

The exact answer has the line in it:
$$\alpha=\omega \frac{d\omega}{d\theta}$$ and using the given (.005theta) value and its derivative, multiplies them together and posits the value derived thereof to be the answer.

k_squared said:
The book defined alpha (angular acceleration, I take it) merely as $$\frac{dw}{d\theta}$$.
That is a typo in the book. It should by dt in the denominator.
k_squared said:
The exact answer has the line in it:
$$\alpha=\omega \frac{d\omega}{d\theta}$$ .
That is correct, but you omitted the / when you wrote alpha=w(dw)(dtheta).

Likes Delta2

1. What is angular momentum problem?

The angular momentum problem refers to the difficulty in explaining why certain astronomical bodies, such as galaxies and stars, maintain their angular momentum despite the lack of any external force acting on them.

2. What causes the angular momentum problem?

The angular momentum problem is caused by the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This law seems to contradict observations in astronomy, as there are no apparent external forces acting on these bodies to maintain their angular momentum.

3. How is the angular momentum problem being studied?

The angular momentum problem is being studied through various theoretical and observational approaches, such as computer simulations, mathematical models, and observations of astronomical bodies. Scientists are also exploring alternative theories, such as modified gravity, to explain this problem.

4. What are some proposed solutions to the angular momentum problem?

Some proposed solutions to the angular momentum problem include the presence of dark matter, which could provide the necessary gravitational force to maintain the angular momentum of these bodies. Another proposed solution is the existence of large-scale magnetic fields, which could also contribute to the conservation of angular momentum.

5. Why is the angular momentum problem important?

The angular momentum problem is important because it challenges our current understanding of the laws of physics and the formation and evolution of astronomical bodies. Solving this problem could lead to a better understanding of the universe and the fundamental principles that govern it.