Pure state, mixed state and measurement

In summary, the problem involves distinguishing between a pure state and a mixed state in a statistical ensemble of qubits. One approach may be to measure the expectation value of the operator A=|0><1|+|1><0|, which is hermitian but may not have a clear physical interpretation. However, this may still provide useful information for solving the problem.
Sophocles
Hello guys,

Homework Statement

the problem goes as follows:

"Which measurement should you do on a statistical ensemble of qubits in order to distinguish between the pure state |Ψ>= cos(θ)|0> + sin(θ)|1> and the mixed state ρ=cos^2(θ)|0><0| + sin^2(θ)|1><1| "

Homework Equations

I am not even sure I grasp the atmosphere of the problem...

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the basic differences between superposition and mixture, but still I can't work a solution inside my head.
So... any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about this, as I haven't worked much with density matrices, but wouldn't measuring the expectation value of the operator A=|0><1|+|1><0| give a different result for the pure and mixture states? Do you know how to calculate expectation values for mixed states?

Ok I see your point! My concern now is whether operator A is a fictional-theoretical operator for the sake of the problem or must be a real one. Must it be self-adjoint? What is the characterization of operator A?

The operator I defined is hermitian, so in principle it represents a measurable quantity, but I'm not sure how to interpret its meaning physically.

hilbert2 I thank you very very much! The problem itself is based on conceptual understanding so I guess we should not really care whether operator A has physical meaning or not.

Again, thank you very much!

hilbert2's operator |0><1| + |1><0| is just [itex]\sigma_x[/itex], so maybe not so weird after all :smile:

Likes 1 person

1. What is a pure state?

A pure state is a quantum state that is described by a single state vector in a Hilbert space. This means that the quantum system is in a well-defined and specific state, and there is no uncertainty or superposition present.

2. How is a mixed state different from a pure state?

A mixed state is a quantum state that cannot be described by a single state vector. It is a statistical mixture of multiple pure states, each with a certain probability of being observed. This means that there is some uncertainty or superposition present in the quantum system.

3. Can a pure state be transformed into a mixed state?

Yes, a pure state can be transformed into a mixed state through the process of measurement. When a measurement is performed on a quantum system, it collapses the state vector to a single pure state with a certain probability. This can result in a mixed state if the measurement is not perfectly repeatable.

4. How does measurement affect a quantum system?

Measurement affects a quantum system by causing a collapse of the state vector to a single pure state. This means that the quantum system is no longer in a superposition of states and is in a well-defined state. The outcome of the measurement is probabilistic and can vary each time the measurement is performed.

5. Can a mixed state be reversed back into a pure state?

In general, no. Once a quantum system is in a mixed state, it cannot be reversed back into a pure state. This is because the information about the initial state is lost during the measurement process. However, in some cases, it is possible to perform a series of measurements that can extract some information about the initial state, but it will never be a perfect reconstruction of the pure state.