1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure state, mixed state and measurement

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    Hello guys,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the problem goes as follows:

"Which measurement should you do on a statistical ensemble of qubits in order to distinguish between the pure state |Ψ>= cos(θ)|0> + sin(θ)|1> and the mixed state ρ=cos^2(θ)|0><0| + sin^2(θ)|1><1| "

2. Relevant equations

I am not even sure I grasp the atmosphere of the problem...

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the basic differences between superposition and mixture, but still I can't work a solution inside my head.
    So... any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure about this, as I haven't worked much with density matrices, but wouldn't measuring the expectation value of the operator A=|0><1|+|1><0| give a different result for the pure and mixture states? Do you know how to calculate expectation values for mixed states?

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3
    Ok I see your point! My concern now is whether operator A is a fictional-theoretical operator for the sake of the problem or must be a real one. Must it be self-adjoint? What is the characterization of operator A?

5. Jun 7, 2014 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The operator I defined is hermitian, so in principle it represents a measurable quantity, but I'm not sure how to interpret its meaning physically.

6. Jun 7, 2014 #5
    hilbert2 I thank you very very much!! The problem itself is based on conceptual understanding so I guess we should not really care whether operator A has physical meaning or not.

Again, thank you very much!

7. Jun 9, 2014 #6
    hilbert2's operator |0><1| + |1><0| is just [itex]\sigma_x[/itex], so maybe not so weird after all :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted