Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Purification of alkyl halide from pyridine

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    I am looking for a way to purify an alkyl halide from a pyridine solution. I started with
    0.02 grams of pyrene 1-methanol and added to it 20 mL pyrene and 200 uL of SOCl2 at room temperature hoping that the substitution reaction would happen. The solution has been sitting for a day at room temperature as I am figuring out how to recover the
    pyrene 1-methylchloride (?). The only method that I think of after reading is to let all the solvent evaporate and be left with the pyrene. I'm not well versed in separation techniques (not a chemist); does anyone have better suggestions?

Ultimately, I'm looking to modify the pyrene 1-methanol to be a thiol. After making the pyrene 1-methylchloride I was thinking about using thiolurea (with what solvent I don't know) to complete the modification. Does this method seem feasible? What are some considerations that I need to be aware of? Thanks for your input.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2
    Acid-base wash?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook