Purification of alkyl halide from pyridine

• Thread starter ecnerwalc3321
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of purifying an alkyl halide from a pyridine solution. The individual started with pyrene 1-methanol and added pyrene and SOCl2 in hopes of a substitution reaction. They are now trying to recover the pyrene 1-methylchloride and are considering evaporating the solvent. They are also planning to modify the pyrene 1-methanol to a thiol using thiolurea, but are unsure of the solvent. They are seeking input and suggestions on this method.
ecnerwalc3321
I am looking for a way to purify an alkyl halide from a pyridine solution. I started with
0.02 grams of pyrene 1-methanol and added to it 20 mL pyrene and 200 uL of SOCl2 at room temperature hoping that the substitution reaction would happen. The solution has been sitting for a day at room temperature as I am figuring out how to recover the
pyrene 1-methylchloride (?). The only method that I think of after reading is to let all the solvent evaporate and be left with the pyrene. I'm not well versed in separation techniques (not a chemist); does anyone have better suggestions?

Ultimately, I'm looking to modify the pyrene 1-methanol to be a thiol. After making the pyrene 1-methylchloride I was thinking about using thiolurea (with what solvent I don't know) to complete the modification. Does this method seem feasible? What are some considerations that I need to be aware of? Thanks for your input.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Acid-base wash?

1. What is the purpose of purifying alkyl halide from pyridine?

The purpose of purifying alkyl halide from pyridine is to remove any impurities or byproducts that may have formed during the synthesis process. This ensures that the final product is of high purity and suitable for use in further reactions or experiments.

2. How is pyridine removed from the alkyl halide?

Pyridine can be removed from the alkyl halide through a variety of methods such as distillation, extraction, or chromatography. The specific method used will depend on the properties of the alkyl halide and pyridine, as well as the desired purity of the final product.

3. What are the potential impurities in alkyl halide from pyridine?

The most common impurities in alkyl halide from pyridine are unreacted starting materials, side products from the synthesis, and residual pyridine. Other impurities may include water, inorganic salts, and organic contaminants from the reaction vessel or equipment.

4. How can the purity of the purified alkyl halide be determined?

The purity of the purified alkyl halide can be determined through various analytical techniques such as gas chromatography, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, or mass spectrometry. These methods can identify and quantify the different components present in the sample to determine the purity of the alkyl halide.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when purifying alkyl halide from pyridine?

Yes, it is important to handle alkyl halides and pyridine with caution as they can be toxic and may pose a risk of explosion. Proper safety measures, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, should be followed. It is also important to properly dispose of any waste materials from the purification process according to safety regulations.