Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Purifiying solution of ammonium nitrate.

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    I've made up a solution of ammonium nitrate from an instant cold pack, however the solution I've made is slightly cloudy and a dull yellow color. I've put it through a coffee filter once but it hasn't really helped. Is there anyway to purify my solution?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is not a safe compound to work with. Crystallization could work.

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply! What kind of dangers are there when dealing with ammonium nitrate? and by Crystallization are you refering to Recrystallization as described here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recrystallization_(chemistry [Broken]).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 30, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you remember April Texas factory explosion? It was the ammonium nitrate. It can explode even when dissolved. Sure, it requires a hot, concentrated solution - but heating and concentrating is what we usually do during crystallization.

And yes, recrystallization in wikipedia is more or less what I am referring to.

6. May 30, 2013 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aug 7, 1959. 1:15am 7 tons of ammonium nitrate blew up in Roseburg Or, my home town. 14 killed, 6 blocks of downtown destroyed.

Texas City ~1953 a shipload of Ammonium nitrate blew up killing hundreds and destroyed a large area.

this is dangerous stuff, do not "play" with large quantities.

7. May 30, 2013 #6
    This is ~ 100 grams and I'll be sure to do it outside.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook