So I have a typical 9volt battery attached to a Christmas light and am attempting to demonstrate the typical "saltwater can conduct electricity" gimmick by showing that the bulb lights when completing the circuit in the solution. I'm racking my brain though and can't figure out why the bulb won't light! Some details: -The bulb does of course light when the wires are connected outside of solution. -I've tried multiple solutions with multiple concentrations (calcium chloride, acids, NaCl, etc) with no luck. -However, a conductivity tester also attached to a 9volt battery does show some conductivity in the water. -The test battery with the Christmas light does hydrolyze the water (produce bubbles). -After attempting the test setup in the solution, I stuck the wires together for a bit outside of the solution. When I did this, one of the wires began to blacken just a tiny little bit. I then stuck the wires back in the solution and a slight yellow precipitate formed. This makes me think there is some coating on the wire (though I don't see why there would be) or that there is some electroplating going on (though this is never really noted in other setups of this experiment I found on the internet). The yellow precipitate I noticed in the NaCl solution. -The Christmas lights was just the typical LED green chains you normally see. One of the lights was taken off just by cutting the wires on both ends of a light. Simple simple. Any ideas as to what's going on?